• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a darn bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Not interested in second hand...

Called Halfords and nothing in stock at any store locally. They said it's worse than Christmas x 10. Literally no bikes left.

I managed to find one 50 miles away in Preston for £1,000. My initial budget was £500-£600 but I figured with the tax benefits I might as well.
    You'll get a decent bike for that money, rather than just a bike shaped object. Boardman's are actually good value for the money, don't let the Halfords name put you off.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Personally wouldn't buy a Boardman now especially the cheaper bikes in the range (aka <£2k). The quality has gone downhill since Chris was bought out by Halfords.

The Evans own brand, Pinnacle, is generally better quality and around the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        You'll get a decent bike for that money, rather than just a bike shaped object. Boardman's are actually good value for the money, don't let the Halfords name put you off.
        I would have.... if there was one available. Got burnt slightly with the price but you only live once and I should get my money's worth during lockdown. Lot's of cycling planned now.

Comment

Originally posted by rik sherman View Post
          Personally wouldn't buy a Boardman now especially the cheaper bikes in the range (aka <£2k). The quality has gone downhill since Chris was bought out by Halfords.

The Evans own brand, Pinnacle, is generally better quality and around the same price.
          Chris is still CEO and head of design for the Boardman operation. Halfords were the exclusive outlet for the performance range and rather than carry on paying to buy them from Boardman's they bought the company and continue to sell the bikes Boardman produce but they get better pricing on them as they are effectively made in house, there is no profit margin needed between Boardman and Halfords. Boardman's elite range are also still sold only in independent bike shops and ONE Pro cycling ride them professionally. they are far from just the Halfords "own brand" bikes.

BTW the Evans Pinnacles are good as well. I've got a 4 year old Arkose 3 that is my do it all bike and it's been great. Currently got 40mm tyres on it and using it for gravel bashing and off road stuff.

Comment

Chris is still CEO and head of design for the Boardman operation. Halfords were the exclusive outlet for the performance range and rather than carry on paying to buy them from Boardman's they bought the company and continue to sell the bikes Boardman produce but they get better pricing on them as they are effectively made in house, there is no profit margin needed between Boardman and Halfords. Boardman's elite range are also still sold only in independent bike shops and ONE Pro cycling ride them professionally. they are far from just the Halfords "own brand" bikes.

BTW the Evans Pinnacles are good as well. I've got a 4 year old Arkose 3 that is my do it all bike and it's been great. Currently got 40mm tyres on it and using it for gravel bashing and off road stuff.
            I have a 2015 Boardman Comp on my turbo trainer - this was my road bike until I got my 2020 Specialized Expert Roubaix Di2 (which is going nowhere near the turbo!!).

The Boardman was a nice bike to ride. Components not the best, but for the price point a decent bike. I've done some long sportives on it and it's handled very well. If I was in the market for a sub £1k bike they'd be worth a look, especially as Halfords have always given me good customer service.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              Plenty for sale second hand on ebay.

Or head down to your local bike shop (or halfords) and see what they have in stock.
              There's some cracking Santa Cruz downhill MBs on eBay that I am having trouble stopping myself from pull the trigger on.

Dangerous being on the bench.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                There's some cracking Santa Cruz downhill MBs on eBay that I am having trouble stopping myself from pull the trigger on.

Dangerous being on the bench.

qh
                i keep having to remind myself that I'm not going to be racing this year and don't need to buy new bits and pieces for the TT or Enduro bikes

Comment

i keep having to remind myself that I'm not going to be racing this year and don't need to buy new bits and pieces for the TT or Enduro bikes
                  I was salivating at the SC bikes on there. Never done any downhill racing in my life but I'd love to do it however I know I would also break many bones doing this.

Best I stick to Chess.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I was salivating at the SC bikes on there. Never done any downhill racing in my life but I'd love to do it however I know I would also break many bones doing this.

Best I stick to Chess.

qh
                    We must talk about chess some time.

Comment

Best I stick to Chess.

qh
                      Nah, Red Bull Rampage, straight in. You'll be fine

Comment

Working...
                      X