• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a darn bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    What tax benefits?

When I looked you could only get any benefit if you used the bike mostly for business.
    Expenses and benefits: bikes for employees - GOV.UK

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      I think now might not be the best time for a Ltd Company contractor to be setting up a cycle to work scheme...

Comment

As long as the bike is used for business use >50% and it is available to all employees it can be bought as a company asset, additionally any maintenance costs and safety equipment can then be charged to the company. Usual proviso when coming to sell / write off a company asset.

I have a bike which I bought through my company and use solely for commuting. I also have my fun bike which I bought through the cycle to work scheme last time I was permie. It's getting a bit long in the tooth and am planning to retire it to the turbo trainer and buy a new one next year, this purchase will come out of my personal income. Nearer the time I might look at my inside/outside situation and decide whether it is worthwhile setting up a no-limit cycle to work scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by rik sherman View Post
          ... Nearer the time I might look at my inside/outside situation and decide whether it is worthwhile setting up a no-limit cycle to work scheme.
          Done my research and see that the >50% for commuting requirement applies to this scheme as well. As this new bike would not be used for commuting then I'll personally pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            I think now might not be the best time for a Ltd Company contractor to be setting up a cycle to work scheme...
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              What you laughing at? I commute to work daily, here is my routine:

Get up in the morning
              Get changed
              Get on my bike
              Cycle around the block
              Go into my home office
              Work

Comment

What you laughing at? I commute to work daily, here is my routine:

Get up in the morning
                Get changed
                Get on my bike
                Cycle around the block
                Go into my home office
                Work
                I've seen a few "Decided to cycle to work this morning" entries on Strava recently, where people did exactly that (well, the mostly did more than just around the block).

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  I've seen a few "Decided to cycle to work this morning" entries on Strava recently, where people did exactly that (well, the mostly did more than just around the block).
                  Nice way to locate where someone ilives and go nick their bikes (if nice...thieves don't want no garbage).

Comment

A good place to look for bikes at the moment is over on that Cybersecurity consultants forum hotukdeals - Best Deals & Discounts >> Your Shopping Community

They are the ones snapping them up.

Comment

As an employer, lending or hiring bikes to employees doesn’t count as an expense or benefit - as long as they’re available to all employees and mainly used for getting to work.
                      when you're working from home how is that criteria met?

Don't get me wrong. I want an electric bike and I want my company to pay for it. I'm just failing to justify it.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X