• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What the actual fork have they done to maths?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    That's not long division, just division.

Long division is 9829 / 71 - or when both numbers in the sum are more than one digit long and usually more (or greater than the highest multiplication table you already know). Same technique though, just takes a bit longer

I think many of us had forgotten the distinction as once you understand both the name is only of interest to teachers. I think SM has a point there is an obsession with renaming stuff.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

All answers on the side of a bus, please.

Comment

It's quite interesting, when I was a kid I was taught "this is how you do multiplication, this is how you do division, etc". Now teachers can teach different methods based on what their kids find more intuitive, on the basis that the important thing is having a way you can use efficiently.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          All answers on the side of a bus, please.
          28 - 1 = 350,000,000

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I have always been rubbish at long division. How does this method work?

You wait half an hour for a division, then 3 come along at once.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Ability to do long division is useful for factorising equations - which in turn can help with differentiation or integration.

Short division is piss easy if you've learned your times tables off by heart from 1 to 12. No need for any subtractions or anything (at least, not to write down).
              Code:
              8729/7
              7 goes into 8 once, so write down 1 
              put the remainder 1 next to the 7 ->17
              7 goes into 17 twice, so write down 2
              put the remainder 3 next to the 2 -> 32
              7 goes into 32 four times, so write down 4
              put the remainder 4 next to the 9 -> 49
              7 goes into 49 seven times, so write down 7.
              No remainder, so we're done.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Ability to do long division is useful for factorising equations - which in turn can help with differentiation or integration.

Short division is piss easy if you've learned your times tables off by heart from 1 to 12. No need for any subtractions or anything (at least, not to write down).
                Code:
                8729/7
                7 goes into 8 once, so write down 1 
                put the remainder 1 next to the 7 ->17
                7 goes into 17 twice, so write down 2
                put the remainder 3 next to the 2 -> 32
                7 goes into 32 four times, so write down 4
                put the remainder 4 next to the 9 -> 49
                7 goes into 49 seven times, so write down 7.
                No remainder, so we're done.
                This. Long division I learned in a similar way.

But back then teachers were like "ooh, you'll not always have a calculator with you."

Your move Mrs Simpson....

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  My son is in Year 6 and I think in old money it would be called long division but I have just been shown "the bus stop method" and although it works, it just seems crazy!
                  daughter in year 4.
                  Doing place value tables, which is OK.
                  Then we did partitioning, which relies on knowledge of place value tables so pointless.

She hates division but is OK at nmost stuff. As was I when I was young.
                  I keep telling her that once she's learned the method she can use a calculator and never do it again. As I did some years ago.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    daughter in year 4.
                    Doing place value tables, which is OK.
                    Then we did partitioning, which relies on knowledge of place value tables so pointless.

She hates division but is OK at nmost stuff. As was I when I was young.
                    I keep telling her that once she's learned the method she can use a calculator and never do it again. As I did some years ago.
                    That's the key to it - there will always be a time when you just need to know enough to sense check a number (and not necessarily accurately) without getting a calculator out. If you have a rough idea of the basic maths then many things in life will be a lot easier.

Comment

Don't they just stick them in the tuck shop after learning their 8 times table anymore? Crisps and chocolate bars at 8p a time means we learnt adding up and taking away and money management skills as well.

Made me the man I am.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X