• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retraining as IT contractor, starting at the bottom.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am very sceptical of working with anyone who obtains instant IT qualifications who does not a related technical background. There are even some very dubious IT university degrees out there. I have had graduates to "assist" me and some of them have no clue what a parity bit is, they don't know how to rename folders and they are unable to make up a simple spreadsheet. I even had a graduate from Uganda who had never used a computer, apparently, the university only taught theory.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      £800 pd?

Oh Dear...
      Is that all?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        Is that all?

Indeed, I thought I was on a good rate at RBS several years ago, until the day when someone sent round an excel with thousands of contractors rates on it I’ve still got it (reported here at the time)

So many contractors on £2500+ a day

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Indeed, I thought I was on a good rate at RBS several years ago, until the day when someone sent round an excel with thousands of contractors rates on it I’ve still got it (reported here at the time)

So many contractors on £2500+ a day

When I worked for a big 4 I was often charged out at silly day rates as much as £2500, but alas, I didn't see that personally. I think I'm quite good at what I do but I'm not worth £2500 pd

I'm comfortable with £5-600 pd; very few people are 'worth' more, although fair play if they can get more and not get stressed by the pressure
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

My uncle claims his best rate was about £1500 pd at Vodafone. Or was it just £1000? I don't remember now. It was a lot, anyway. He's some kind of programme manager.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              My uncle claims his best rate was about £1500 pd at Vodafone. Or was it just £1000? I don't remember now. It was a lot, anyway. He's some kind of programme manager.
              Programme Manager roles do pull in big day rates, and whilst I've got my MSP and have run a few small programmes I'd never want the stress of a large programme. Much rather get paid less and be able to sleep at night

Working for an insurance company a few years ago we had a few Actuarial guys on the project ... just remembered they were on silly day rates too. Not a role you can learn via an online course. Very clever chaps.
              Last edited by Whorty; 26 May 2020, 18:27.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

£800 a day is either for very in demand technical skills or senior roles like Head of IT or other team heads. It would usually take you quite a lot of years to get to that sort of day rate.

Once you get to about £750/day, that's the start of 'interim' day rates as opposed to contractor. They can go up to £3,000 odd per day.

I's obvious but for £800/day clients will expect an awful lot of you and a bit more than a certificate and a couple of years experience.

Comment

£ 800 per day will be minimum wage once Sunak stops printing money

Comment

800 a day would be nice but for what I do I don't see it happening any time soon for my level of seniority.

I'd have to go back to permieland, work my way up to a 'Lead' level, and then I'd be in a position to get 800. Having said that, by the time I get there, I doubt there will be many roles paying that amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      I have had graduates to "assist" me and some of them have no clue what a parity bit is

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      Is that all?
                      £800 pd? INKSPE.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X