• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retraining as IT contractor, starting at the bottom.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I am very sceptical of working with anyone who obtains instant IT qualifications who does not a related technical background. There are even some very dubious IT university degrees out there. I have had graduates to "assist" me and some of them have no clue what a parity bit is, they don't know how to rename folders and they are unable to make up a simple spreadsheet. I even had a graduate from Uganda who had never used a computer, apparently, the university only taught theory.
    There are 10 types of computer people; those who know how to use parity bits and those who don't.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

£800 pd? INKSPE.
      Only six bits, must be a 1960s parrot.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Start off as Psychocandy's Apprentice Keyboard Sanitiser and work your way up. There are no short-cuts in life.
        Yep stick it in pull it out.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bingocaller88 View Post
          Hi, I have been working as a contractor in financial services compliance (ie not at all IT) for a few years and have noticed on here that a standard day rate for IT contractors is circa £800 pd, whereas I have never even got to half of that. I am also furloughed.

So, can I retrain as an IT contractor? I don't have high day rate expectations given that my only IT qualification is GCSE. Where would I start to get a basic bums-on-seats position? Would it be good to learn Python on the Harvard Uni site for example?

Thank you
          My highest IT qualification is also a GCSE, so it is possible
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Wind up surely?

I'd have to say I dont believe this but my BIL is like this.

Hes said a few times now he "fancies working in IT" and wants to know how to get a job like mine. I thought he was joking at first too. My Mrs has told me not to wind him up because I said "get a time machine, get more than 2 O levels, maybe go to college, get a job then come back and tell me how it went".
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              My highest IT qualification is also a GCSE, so it is possible
              Wow that is surprising!
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Hi, I have been working as a contractor in financial services compliance (ie not at all IT) for a few years and have noticed on here that a standard day rate for IT contractors is circa £800 pd, whereas I have never even got to half of that. I am also furloughed.

So, can I retrain as an IT contractor? I don't have high day rate expectations given that my only IT qualification is GCSE. Where would I start to get a basic bums-on-seats position? Would it be good to learn Python on the Harvard Uni site for example?

Thank you
                Train yourself up in GDPR / privacy etc. Reasonable jump from compliance.

Comment

Thank you
                  Is this Rishi Sunak?

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    I will give you a serious answer though.

Do you have an accounting qualification? If you do then it'll be much easier to make the transition because companies who are looking for IT professionals with accounting qualifications will accept much lower IT experience and still pay decent day rate. Otherwise I think it's going to be a long hard road for you.
                    Thank you. I don't have accounting qualifications (yet).

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      What role in IT do you want? Those people on £800 pd whose money you are coveting - what are they doing? Not literally, as that'll be close to nothing, but what role are they in?
                      Thanks for replying. I don't know yet which role.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      That will give you a clue as to what skills you need to get to their level in about 5 - 10 years' time depending on your ability to spin no experience but have a bit of paper and the strength of your network to get you into a job you're probably not qualified to do (the latter is the way I manage to get work, I'd still be a waitress in a cocktail bar otherwise).
                      Point taken about strength of network. If I was better at networking I would have a better role in my current field.

Comment

Working...
                      X