• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minnesota Police #Icantbreathe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    So there are 5647 trained UK firearms offices in the UK I read as the last available figure.
    3 shot and killed in the UK by police last year.

About a million police in the US, I'm going to assume nearly all armed.
    1000 deaths last year from police.

The probability of an armed policeman shooting someone dead in both countries is not that different.
    True. However:

2019 figures:
    US 933 deaths population 330 million. That's 28.2 deaths by cop per 10,000,000 people.
    UK 3 deaths population 66 million. That's 0.45 deaths by cop per 10,000,000 people.

So you're much more likely to be shot by a cop in the US than you are in the UK.
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 30 May 2020, 15:25. Reason: Shifted the decimal point the wrong way!
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      True. However:

2019 figures:
      US 933 deaths population 330 million. That's 282 deaths by cop per 10000 people.
      UK 3 deaths population 66 million. That's 4.5 deaths by cop per 10000 people.

So you're much more likely to be shot by a cop in the US than you are in the UK.
      F-

Don't come back next year.

Comment

F-

Don't come back next year.
        Thanks for the note. I've corrected the figures. The conclusion still stands. You are more likely to get shot by a police officer in the US than in the UK.

Comment

Thanks for the note. I've corrected the figures. The conclusion still stands. You are more likely to get shot by a police officer in the US than in the UK.
          I respect the honesty in not hiding the edit. When you do it to WTFH she just changes the post and reply.

Comment

I respect the honesty in not hiding the edit. When you do it to WTFH she just changes the post and reply.
            I’m slightly concerned about your unnatural obsession with me.

But then I realise it’s you, so everything is unnatural.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

0.3 per 100,000 is tiny. Homicide rate where I live is like 4-5 and I don't feel unsafe, nor should I be.

The push to brand the US as some state where you need to fear for your life from the police is peddled by supporters of genuine police states.

This is an unfortunate incident hijacked by the usual lunatics as there is good money to be made out of these stories.

Comment

I did consider it. But only for lolz.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  6th and Jefferson in Louisville. This is a line of white people forming a barrier between Black protestors and the police.

Bloomin' criminals. Haven't they heard of social distancing.

Comment

True. However:

2019 figures:
                    US 933 deaths population 330 million. That's 28.2 deaths by cop per 10,000,000 people.
                    UK 3 deaths population 66 million. That's 0.45 deaths by cop per 10,000,000 people.

Would that be because many of the Americans are armed with serious guns 24*7 and tend to shoot back?

How likely are cops to be killed in the US?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Hmmm, I think we are going to be talking about water cannons a lot in the next few days.

Comment

Working...
                      X