• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minnesota Police #Icantbreathe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair enough, I retract the racism comment.

That said, he doesn't seem like the model police officer.

Not saying Floyd was a model citizen either, but a US cop is sworn in to protect and serve. I cannot help but come to the conclusion that Floyd posed no threat had the accused taken his weight off his neck.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Fair enough, I retract the racism comment.

That said, he doesn't seem like the model police officer.

Not saying Floyd was a model citizen either, but a US cop is sworn in to protect and serve. I cannot help but come to the conclusion that Floyd posed no threat had the accused taken his weight off his neck.

Agree I suspect if Floyd had been a big white guy in the same state the outcome would have been the same.

Yes I think it was definitely excessive force by Chauvin and co.

Unfortunately the police don't get to choose who they stop. He does appear to have passed a forged note, he was a convicted Armed robber and the county ME confirms he had consumed meth and was intoxicated with fentanyl. I would not want to stop him, he was a big lad.

I would like to see an organisation that aligned training and standards across all US states but I believe that would be unacceptable to the US people its hard enough in the UK.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's a nation established on violence and slavery of Africans. Disdain for black people is sadly cultural in many parts of the US still.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It's a nation established on violence and slavery of others. Disdain for black people is sadly cultural in many parts of the US still.

So a bit like everywhere then.

History of slavery - Wikipedia

Evidence of slavery predates written records, and has existed in many cultures.[19] Mass slavery requires economic surpluses and a high population density to be viable. Due to these factors, the practice of slavery would have only proliferated after the invention of agriculture during the Neolithic Revolution, about 11,000 years ago.[20]
          Slavery was known in civilizations as old as Sumer, as well as in almost every other ancient civilization, including ancient Egypt, ancient China, the Akkadian Empire, Assyria, Babylonia, ancient Iran, ancient Greece, ancient India, the Roman Empire, the Arab Islamic Caliphate and Sultanate, Nubia and the pre-Columbian civilizations of the Americas.[21] Such institutions were a mixture of debt-slavery, punishment for crime, the enslavement of prisoners of war, child abandonment, and the birth of slave children to slaves.[22]
          Interesting statistic - how many slaves were captured by European slavers rather than sold into slavery by their black brothers? Studies suggest just 10%.

I actually found none of my American colleagues in 15 years working for a Fortune 500 ever displayed any sort of racism and many BAME people held high level posts based on merit so I think a blanket statement is unhelpful.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ne-500-boards/

It also seems to be changing for the better.

I saw overt racism in Dubai, South Africa and parts of Europe.

Now I suspect as you say it is in certain areas and cultures. Conversely there is an isolationist streak in certain cultures that causes mistrust both ways.

I am not sure treating any incident that involves two different skin colours as racism or allowing people to openly talk rubbish about racism is helpful.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-revealed.html

'The police will kill me before corona kills me': Two 18-year-old organisers of the London Black Lives Matter protest make incredible claim that they 'risk their lives on a daily basis' living in 'so racist' UK

• EXCLUSIVE: 18-year-olds Aima and Tash are revealed as organising the London protests over the killing of George Floyd
          • They have posted a series of hard hitting social media messages slamming Britain for being a 'racist country'
          • Aima defended the decision to defy ban on mass gatherings, saying police brutality will kill black people before coronavirus does
          • Chants of, 'I can't breathe,' rebounded across the Thames, the words George Floyd was heard gasping before his death as a white police officer knelt on his neck in Minneapolis, Minnesota, a week ago
          • Thousands had earlier gathered at Trafalgar Square before making their way to the gates of Downing Street and then south of the river towards the US Embassy
          • They have defied the ban on mass gatherings due to coronavirus to show their solidarity with US citizens
          • Dozens of US cities have been set ablaze over the last week amid deadly clashes with police officers over the killing of Floyd, whose death is seen as a symbol of systemic police brutality against African-Americans
          No you muppet the Police might kill you if you are a known dug dealer visiting his armourer other than that the statistics suggest you will probably be killed by friendly fire in a drive by shooting about drugs.

Comment

You were doing so well until you quoted the Daily Fail. Ho hum.

Comment

You were doing so well until you quoted the Daily Fail. Ho hum.
              this bit might help:

EXCLUSIVE: 18-year-olds Aima and Tash are revealed as organising the London protests over the killing of George Floyd
              I can't actually quote any other source if it is an exclusive interview. Though I suspect in a day or so the other papers will catch up.

I quoted the alleged organisers of the London protests, are you suggesting the mail made the quotes up? I will look forward to the retraction.

I sometimes quote the bible but I don't believe in God. It is still a credible source of what people believe.

These ladies clearly believe they are routinely discriminated against by the police and that their life is at risk from the police despite the statistics. I find this surprising and disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                this bit might help:

I can't actually quote any other source if it is an exclusive interview. Though I suspect in a day or so the other papers will catch up.

I quoted the alleged organisers of the London protests, are you suggesting the mail made the quotes up? I will look forward to the retraction.

I sometimes quote the bible but I don't believe in God. It is still a credible source of what people believe.

These ladies clearly believe they are routinely discriminated against by the police and that their life is at risk from the police despite the statistics. I find this surprising and disturbing.
                No, I'm expressing my disappointment at you reading the Daily Mail. HTH.

However, this article does suggest that the DM does indeed fabricate stuff: 10 Egregiously False Stories In The 'Daily Mail' - Listverse

Comment

No, I'm expressing my disappointment at you reading the Daily Mail. HTH.

However, this article does suggest that the DM does indeed fabricate stuff: 10 Egregiously False Stories In The 'Daily Mail' - Listverse

Ah that well known authority on accuracy Listverse.

Maybe try IPSO

Rulings and resolution statements

The Mail seems to do fairly well.

I also read the BBC, Metro & the Guardian. Should I hang my head in shame?

Comment

I also read the BBC, Metro & the Guardian. Should I hang my head in shame?
                    Goddamn Pinko.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I also read the BBC, Metro & the Guardian.
                      For some reason, I'm reminded of that bit from A Fish Called Wanda:

Otto West: Apes don't read philosophy!
                      Wanda Gerschwitz: Yes they do, they just don't understand it!
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X