• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minnesota Police #Icantbreathe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minnesota Police #Icantbreathe

Absolutely shocking video of Minnesota Police 'killing' George Floyd - whilst being filmed.
    Never seen restraining suspects by the neck used by the Police. Really bad.

Really shocking and then it becomes a sad reflection of good police officers and all about race.
    I feel this story has a way to go....

I’m surprised that Minestrone didn’t post this story, or hasn’t explained how it’s all fake and the guy lay down then pushed his own neck into the policeman’s knee
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
      Absolutely shocking video of Minnesota Police 'killing' George Floyd - whilst being filmed.
      Never seen restraining suspects by the neck used by the Police. Really bad.

Really shocking and then it becomes a sad reflection of good police officers and all about race.
      I feel this story has a way to go....
      Fookin truly appalling. Should be done for manslaughter. I think we live in a bit of a bubble in the UK as multi-culturalism is, on the whole, working pretty well. I certainly forget how bad some parts of the world still are ... parts of the US unfortunately are still stuck in the past. Very sad.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Fookin truly appalling. Should be done for manslaughter. I think we live in a bit of a bubble in the UK as multi-culturalism is, on the whole, working pretty well. I certainly forget how bad some parts of the world still are ... parts of the US unfortunately are still stuck in the past. Very sad.
        You maybe in a bubble.

The police in the UK use to be just as bad and Covid-19 shows they are falling back into their bad habits.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

But the US attitudes to race are markedly different from those in the UK.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            You maybe in a bubble.

The police in the UK use to be just as bad and Covid-19 shows they are falling back into their bad habits.
            Just to get this clear the Police officers involved in this case seem to have been at fault whether that is due to malice, stupidity or poor training if you have ever tried to restrain someone its very risky for both parties. I am glad they have been fired and suspect they will be prosecuted and a court not public opinion will decide their fate after reading all the evidence.

Hmm SueEllen the figures disagree.

List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

48 since 2000 many were armed or insane. this is out of a population of 66.65 million so you have a risk of 0.72 per million head of dying in police custody.

List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States - Wikipedia

3881 since 2000 out of a population of 328.2 so 11.83 per million.

This is death regardless of ethnicity but still the UK are clearly 10 times better than the US at not killing / letting die citizens.

Now I suspect there may be proportionally more BAME suspects killed in the US and maybe even in the UK but remember proportionally more BAME suspects are stopped and detained in both countries.

One does have to note that the Met is the highest user of stop & search in England and BAME persons are 50% of the population so that is less surprising in the UK.

As prisons have proportionally more BAME individuals maybe there is an issue, though its difficult to believe that the Police (now wearing body cams and after root & branch reform) CPS & Judiciary are all significantly racist and that someone is managing to cover that up.

I assume you are referring to the fact a significant proportion of those accused by the police of breaking lock down are BAME. Again I am not sure how you believe any police officer believes how he would get away with any discernible racism wearing a body cam and with proper scrutiny. I am not seeing the prosecutions I would expect & support which the human rights lawyers would raise if there was any evidence however slim. It may be significantly more poor people are BAME and unlike milky white Tory spin doctors don't have a garden or even a holiday home so may move into parks to avoid the four walls.

It is interesting to note that under the guise of protesting an unjust death some people choose to pick up cheap TV just like in the UK with Mark Duggan.

National Guard support requested by city to combat riots in south Minneapolis | KSTP.com

Not something we saw when David Kelly took his little walk.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You maybe in a bubble.

They are not just as bad.

Comment

You maybe in a bubble.

I don't think that is right. Bad stuff, sure. US style? No.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Don't go wandering around with a table leg wrapped in a bin bag & you should be ok.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    Don't go wandering around with a table leg wrapped in a bin bag & you should be ok.
                    Such stupidity (on both sides) seems mercifully rare.

List of cases of police brutality in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X