• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House price excitement!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I once saw in Holland Park a duck beat a squirrel in a fight over a pink wafer biscuit. It was maybe 20 years ago, but I have held the locale in high esteem ever since.
    It's gone downhill since then. The Beckhams have moved in. Well, whether they live there is debatable - they own a property in Holland Park anyhoo.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I think Court is over egging it a bit.
      Not really.

I know the place, you see I was schooled at the bottom of North End Road (near Fulham Broadway Tube) in the late 80's/very early 90's. Some school chums lived on the estate and I visited them quite a bit. I have thrown up on that estate after 12 bottles of Nukey Brown with my friends. I knew the place quite well. It was bad then. I was back two years ago on a site visit nearby. I went for a little tour for old times sake and it hadn't changed much.
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        Jesus christ, £550k for a 2-bed flat to live like that.

I'd rather be in a bedsit in a nicer area.

With a convenient kebab house?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

For that money you could get 1500sqft 3 bed house in Surrey, or a 4 bed with over an acre of land in Devon.
          You might get a semi detached in Slough.

3 bedroom semi-detached house for sale in Shaggy Calf Lane, Slough, SL2

or push the budget

3 bedroom bungalow for sale in Oxford Avenue, Burnham, Slough, SL1, SL1

seriously don't they are both Trumpholes! (Burnham is bearable).

They are on HS2 & Crossrail.

Though you do need a few quid to get somewhere nice.

Don't knock council estates the first house we bought was on one, it came with its own neighbourhood burglar and sex offender (not the same man). The bustard neighbour nicked my bin!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            do you get cheap bricklayers as well?
            Very expensive build - which is why the chap gone bust in the last crisis in 2009

Rented it for many years first from the mutual who took control

Comment

87 years

And have someone steal my steal?

2 bedroom apartment for sale in London | asking price GBP550,000

It's in the best part of town. All the top shops are nearby.
              87 years too short, mine got 990 years, which is ok

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                That estate is more than rough. Its been rougher than the prossie Wayne Rooney shagged since about 1970! Its ok I suppose if you like copious amounts of certain things in white that require a £20 note and a debit card to consume but after that is a s**thole! Home contents insurance quotes should be interesting. Oh and if you drive a nice car. Trade it in for a s**theap. The heap will be less likely to get nicked. I reckon you will be burgled at least once in your first year!

And its North End Road!
                And they want 550 grand for that?

FFS, 50K too much

Comment

I think Court is over egging it a bit. Yes it's a bit salty but is most likely to be safer than you'd imagine. The last place I owned was on an ex-council estate that everyone said was well rough, and it it was priced accordingly. It was nothing of the sort. Some places truly are awful but most estates aren't as bad as they may seem.

I did have a brief walk through that estate the other day and looking at the cars people are willing to leave on the street does tell you a lot. Maybe it is all drug money and the gangs keep them safe but there were few beaten up heaps of crap and instead mostly higher end modern family cars. I never expected it be like my street which has a Ferrari and a Maserati on it all day, every day. My 350z will be just fine.

Granted, North End Road is grim
                  Stolen?

Comment

87 years

And have someone steal my steal?

2 bedroom apartment for sale in London | asking price GBP550,000

It's in the best part of town. All the top shops are nearby.
                    An ex council flat in quite possibly the scummiest part of Fulham.

That area is horrible and full of crime. (I used to live nearby).

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                      Jesus christ, £550k for a 2-bed flat to live like that.

I'd rather be in a bedsit in a nicer area.
                      Exactly what I was thinking when reading this thread. I love my visits to London for work, but talk of such accommodations as being a bargain and cheap reconfirms that there are issues with the housing in this country (or perhaps the simply south-east leaning of this country in general)

Whilst it would hurt some, if Coronavirus allows more people to work outside of London in future, resulting in house price balancing , I can only see that as a good thing long term.
                      Last edited by Paralytic; 2 June 2020, 07:58.

Comment

Working...
                      X