• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House price excitement!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My missus says she would only live in London if she could be in one of the quiet back streets in Kensington.

Unfortunately, I doubt we could swap our current house for a bedsit (sorry, studio appt) there.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Are either of those in West London?

Thankfully not.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

You need to see breakdown of charges (this will give a good clue as to what can increase) - also ask for what there were in previous years.

And don’t forget to ask for a complimentary Ferrari rental for the weekend - go for open top version, it’s buyers market now.
        And of course ask if they have a sinking fund, for large occasional expenditures like renovating the roof or redecorations.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I could be tempted up to Glasgow, maybe, possibly...
          That's where myself and the missus are going to buy. Time for me to settle down and if I ever start a family I wouldn't want to raise my kid in Edinburgh amongst all those snobby and entitled arseholes.

I'll keep my flat in edinburgh though: it'll do nicely on airbnb.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
            My missus says she would only live in London if she could be in one of the quiet back streets in Kensington.

Unfortunately, I doubt we could swap our current house for a bedsit (sorry, studio appt) there.
            W8 (where I am renting) is extortionate but it's well connected and has good local shops. It's safe and I've staggered around it at silly o'clock very drunk and been fine. Some of the streets around Kensington Olympia / Brook Green are nice too but seems to be fewer local shops as I guess Hammersmith takes most of the trade away.

My steal, above, is on a pretty rough estate next to North Lane Road which is best described as edgy. That's why it's such "good value". The estate has cleaned up a fair bit but it still has an air about it. It seems well managed and I think it's still run by the council which may explain the low charges.

Comment

My weekly email from Zoopla this morning contained lots of price reductions. £150k off a £700k flat walking distance from Earl's Court tube.

May the market correction last a bit longer while I organise myself.

So pleased to see that grossly overpriced tat is now becoming overpriced tat.
              My two pence worth.

Try not to buy leasehold, management fees can be an expensive pain in the backside.

With the current economic climate, I think you can pick up a bargain by paying cash if you think outside the box.
              Many small businesses are going to the wall and already there are freehold shops and cafes with accommodation above going cheap. You could convert a shop to living or buy with accommodation above and let the shop out. Around £350,000 could get you three floors freehold in SW11 or SW12 in a very good area.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

87 years

And have someone steal my steal?

2 bedroom apartment for sale in London | asking price GBP550,000

It's in the best part of town. All the top shops are nearby.
                Its Ex Council!!
                Thats why its so cheap!
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

W8 (where I am renting) is extortionate but it's well connected and has good local shops. It's safe and I've staggered around it at silly o'clock very drunk and been fine. Some of the streets around Kensington Olympia / Brook Green are nice too but seems to be fewer local shops as I guess Hammersmith takes most of the trade away.

My steal, above, is on a pretty rough estate next to North Lane Road which is best described as edgy. That's why it's such "good value". The estate has cleaned up a fair bit but it still has an air about it. It seems well managed and I think it's still run by the council which may explain the low charges.
                  That estate is more than rough. Its been rougher than the prossie Wayne Rooney shagged since about 1970! Its ok I suppose if you like copious amounts of certain things in white that require a £20 note and a debit card to consume but after that is a s**thole! Home contents insurance quotes should be interesting. Oh and if you drive a nice car. Trade it in for a s**theap. The heap will be less likely to get nicked. I reckon you will be burgled at least once in your first year!

And its North End Road!
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    My two pence worth.

Try not to buy leasehold, management fees can be an expensive pain in the backside.

With the current economic climate, I think you can pick up a bargain by paying cash if you think outside the box.
                    Many small businesses are going to the wall and already there are freehold shops and cafes with accommodation above going cheap. You could convert a shop to living or buy with accommodation above and let the shop out. Around £350,000 could get you three floors freehold in SW11 or SW12 in a very good area.
                    You are looking at nearer the £500k mark for this stuff in those postcodes and sometimes more location depending I have one advertising at £700k. Vendor won't go below £650k
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                      You are looking at nearer the £500k mark for this stuff in those postcodes and sometimes more location depending I have one advertising at £700k. Vendor won't go below £650k
                      Nop, I checked today.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X