• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House price excitement!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Nop, I checked today.
    Interesting, how may did you find?
    I have no commercial commercial/residential mix freeholds on my books in SW London Postcodes below £500k, even in variable or poor roads/streets. I know SW very well I was brought up there and lived there for a number of years after that.
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
      Interesting, how may did you find?
      I have no commercial commercial/residential mix freeholds on my books in SW London Postcodes below £500k, even in variable or poor roads/streets. I know SW very well I was brought up there and lived there for a number of years after that.
      I phoned up again, (a solicitor friend in London), it is a repossession, however, it seems that it is just the ground floor, shop and basement. Still cheap but I think your estimate of £500k for shop and accommodation is more realistic for that area. Having said that, I know of one near Wimbledon that was bought for £600,000 in 2009 and is now for sale at £380,000 (buyer found).

Given time, there will be a glut of shops on the market.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
        That estate is more than rough. Its been rougher than the prossie Wayne Rooney shagged since about 1970! Its ok I suppose if you like copious amounts of certain things in white that require a £20 note and a debit card to consume but after that is a s**thole! Home contents insurance quotes should be interesting. Oh and if you drive a nice car. Trade it in for a s**theap. The heap will be less likely to get nicked. I reckon you will be burgled at least once in your first year!

And its North End Road!
        Jesus christ, £550k for a 2-bed flat to live like that.

I'd rather be in a bedsit in a nicer area.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          I phoned up again, (a solicitor friend in London), it is a repossession, however, it seems that it is just the ground floor, shop and basement. Still cheap but I think your estimate of £500k for shop and accommodation is more realistic for that area. Having said that, I know of one near Wimbledon that was bought for £600,000 in 2009 and is now for sale at £380,000 (buyer found).

Given time, there will be a glut of shops on the market.
          There will be a glut. Make no bones.

One thing to consider with these is mortgageability. You may need a commercil mortgage which will be on different terms than a residential one.

I think I know the one near Wimbledon at £380k. and if it is the one i'm thinking of Not a great road. Very deep pockets are needed. Its got a lot wrong with it. I think JCB's are an excellent tool for that sort of task!
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

I think Court is over egging it a bit. Yes it's a bit salty but is most likely to be safer than you'd imagine. The last place I owned was on an ex-council estate that everyone said was well rough, and it it was priced accordingly. It was nothing of the sort. Some places truly are awful but most estates aren't as bad as they may seem.

I did have a brief walk through that estate the other day and looking at the cars people are willing to leave on the street does tell you a lot. Maybe it is all drug money and the gangs keep them safe but there were few beaten up heaps of crap and instead mostly higher end modern family cars. I never expected it be like my street which has a Ferrari and a Maserati on it all day, every day. My 350z will be just fine.

Granted, North End Road is grim

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I think Court is over egging it a bit. Yes it's a bit salty but is most likely to be safer than you'd imagine. The last place I owned was on an ex-council estate that everyone said was well rough, and it it was priced accordingly. It was nothing of the sort. Some places truly are awful but most estates aren't as bad as they may seem.

I did have a brief walk through that estate the other day and looking at the cars people are willing to leave on the street does tell you a lot. Maybe it is all drug money and the gangs keep them safe but there were few beaten up heaps of crap and instead mostly higher end modern family cars. I never expected it be like my street which has a Ferrari and a Maserati on it all day, every day. My 350z will be just fine.

Granted, North End Road is grim
              I haven't lived anywhere "a bit salty" since I was a student, in Manchester, 40 years ago. I would cry paying £550k to live somewhere like that.

But then I don't really get the appeal of London anyway, so there's no hope of me understanding where you're coming from.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

This is the area my missus would want to live.

Studio apartment for sale in Strathmore Gardens, Kensington, London, W8, W8

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                  Oh that end! Eek. No. It's actually quite noisy and busy around there if you don't pick the right bit.

Holland Park is nicer or my favourite stomping ground is the area bounded by Kensington High Street to the north, Earl's Court Road to the west, Gloucester Road (or Marlows Road if I was really going to narrow it down more) to the east, and Cromwell Road (aka the A4) to the South. Lots of very nice cupboards to be had for the price of a couple of kidneys and a pancreas.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                    Nice little pad
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Oh that end! Eek. No. It's actually quite noisy and busy around there if you don't pick the right bit.

Holland Park is nicer or my favourite stomping ground is the area bounded by Kensington High Street to the north, Earl's Court Road to the west, Gloucester Road (or Marlows Road if I was really going to narrow it down more) to the east, and Cromwell Road (aka the A4) to the South. Lots of very nice cupboards to be had for the price of a couple of kidneys and a pancreas.
                      I once saw in Holland Park a duck beat a squirrel in a fight over a pink wafer biscuit. It was maybe 20 years ago, but I have held the locale in high esteem ever since.

Comment

Working...
                      X