• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dominic Cummings further revelations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    He does a political broadcast with supporters phoning in to say “Love the show Nige”

It’s not exactly balanced journalism.
    Ah, the irony.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      FTFY

I don't think, I shared the official definition which Mr Farage fits, he is officially a journalist, you seem to have a problem understanding facts. Then you just go off on a flight of fancy as usual.
      Where does it officially say that? It doesn't on his Facebook page, nor does it say it on the Wikipedia page and on the 'Presenters' (note: not journalists page of LBC, it says:

Full name: Nigel Paul Farage
      Born: 3rd April 1964
      Height: 5'8"
      Position: Ukip leader, MEP
      Salary: £79,000
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Where does it officially say that? It doesn't on his Facebook page, nor does it say it on the Wikipedia page and on the 'Presenters' (note: not journalists page of LBC, it says:

Full name: Nigel Paul Farage
        Born: 3rd April 1964
        Height: 5'8"
        Position: Ukip leader, MEP
        Salary: £79,000

I shared the dictionary definition of a journalist and pointed out it covered him. Sorry you and the muppet brigade are having trouble understanding.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Have you read the Sun or the Mirror.

Technically he is a journalist by definition. Bjork is a singer apparently.
          There’s a spectrum of types and qualities of journalism, but there’s also a difference between journalism and publishing in general. You can’t call Farage a journalist although he has arguably engaged in journalistic inquiry on occasion. I think you’d agree that twitter isn’t journalism, but it involves publishing opinion. Calling Farage a journalist is a bit like calling scootie an investing sage or a hotel critic.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            There’s a spectrum of types and qualities of journalism, but there’s also a difference between journalism and publishing in general. You can’t call Farage a journalist although he has arguably engaged in journalistic inquiry on occasion. I think you’d agree that twitter isn’t journalism, but it involves publishing opinion. Calling Farage a journalist is a bit like calling scootie an investing sage or a hotel critic.

I can call Farage a journalist just as I can call Sweeney Todd a barber. As mentioned I never said he was a good one.

Trump is a President but most of us wish he wasn't. His name will still be repeated in schools when they list the presidents.

I can call Scootie a muppet because he clearly is one.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I can call Farage a journalist just as I can call Sweeney Todd a barber. As mentioned I never said he was a good one.

Trump is a President but most of us wish he wasn't. His name will still be repeated in schools when they list the presidents.

Yet he's bombed seven fewer countries than Obama so far....
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Sure, you can say anything.

I think we can objectively say that Trump is the 45th President because it's an Office and he took the Oath, so that is a piss-poor analogy.

Classifying someone that writes occasionally or professionally as a journalist or not a journalist is obviously less objective. To quote HST:

The press is a gang of cruel ******. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for ****** and misfits - a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage.
                You could argue that he's got Farage nailed there, I suppose.

If I research a newsworthy topic and publish it on a blog, does that make me a journalist or someone publishing stuff in a blog? Obviously, the latter. Farage is a politician who also publishes stuff in various outlets. Again, calling him a journalist is to lack an appreciation of nuance - I think the vast majority of people would instantly accept that he isn't one, even if there is no particular, objective, standard.

Comment

FTFY

I don't think, I shared the official definition which Mr Farage fits, he is officially a journalist, you seem to have a problem understanding facts. Then you just go off on a flight of fancy as usual.
                  First, let's see what actually happened (see posts quoted below). You shared a dictionary definition of a journalist to try to demonstrate that someone who is a radio presenter is also by definition a journalist. You didn't share the post to demonstrate that Farage is a journalist (which you now seem to be claiming you were). Can you see yet where you got in a muddle for a reasoning perspective?

Next, could you give an example in this thread of a fact which I seem to have a problem understanding?

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Do you believe that being a radio show presenter makes that person a journalist?
                  apparently so, you may not agree but who cares?

JOURNALIST | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Journalist | Definition of Journalist by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of Journalist

He also writes for the Telegraph

Nigel Farage - The Telegraph

& The Independent

Nigel Farage | The Independent

If we have accept most of the Guardian & BBC Hacks then yes he is.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Sure, you can say anything.

I think we can objectively say that Trump is the 45th President because it's an Office and he took the Oath, so that is a piss-poor analogy.

Classifying someone that writes occasionally or professionally as a journalist or not a journalist is obviously less objective. To quote HST:

You could argue that he's got Farage nailed there, I suppose.

If I research a newsworthy topic and publish it on a blog, does that make me a journalist or someone publishing stuff in a blog? Obviously, the latter. Farage is a politician who also publishes stuff in various outlets. Again, calling him a journalist is to lack an appreciation of nuance - I think the vast majority of people would instantly accept that he isn't one, even if there is no particular, objective, standard.
                    Tommy Robinson self-identifies as a journalist. You're just a TERF (Twunt Exclusionary Radical Factist).

Comment

Farage comes from the same school of journalism as Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson, in other words he uses it to hide his real actions, a smokescreen. If he is a journalist then so is anyone on here who publishes their opinion on anything...
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X