• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dominic Cummings further revelations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old smeg View Post
    more desperate guff
    hmm
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      hmm
      I can see you've given up trying to defend your weak logic, but if it helps, I can tell you the answer to the question, "Is Farage a journalist?"

I've not offered an opinion on this so far, being content to mock you, but I'm happy to help, if you would like me to.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Does a dictionary drive usage or reflect usage? Try comparing a recent edition with an edition several decades ago. Is a dictionary a simple tool or an infinitely complicated analysis of all possible interpretations and applications of a word at the present instant in history? Obviously, it's a simple tool and it responds to usage. I just find the idea that a dictionary could settle this question to be quite amusing and revealing, that's all.

A dictionary describes agreed usage as defined by the publisher, as you suggest usage evolves so therefore do dictionaries. But it is THE tool to decide correct usage when a disagreement arises.

There is no other tool that defines the meaning of words so well. If you find it amusing or revealing maybe that says more about you.

Now you may feel the word Journalist requires more qualification than the dictionary requires but in truth it doesn't.

Membership of the NUJ or Annabel's is not required to be a journalist.

But lets use a revered source and see what they say:

BBC Learning English | Ask about English

A journalist's work is most often seen in print – especially newspapers – but they can work for TV and radio too. A journalist gathers, writes and reports news stories, and may also edit and present news articles.
        oh dear even the Beeb agree.

I will leave these here news articles written for "quality" newspapers about current affairs by a Mr Nigel Farage.

Nigel Farage - The Telegraph

oh look its under NEWS-Politics

Nigel Farage | The Independent

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          I can see you've given up trying to defend your weak logic, but if it helps, I can tell you the answer to the question, "Is Farage a journalist?"

I've not offered an opinion on this so far, being content to mock you, but I'm happy to help, if you would like me to.

Why is Farage not a journalist?

Comment

Why is Farage not a journalist?
            You're skipping ahead. First we need an answer to the question, "Is Farage a journalist?" Would you like me to answer it for you?

Comment

oh dear even the Beeb agree.
              It almost feels unfair to continue this torture.

No one said that journalists are confined to writing in newspapers. This isn't about the mode of publication, it's about the substance of the material and how it is presented and for what purpose. There are many different types of journalism, obviously. I think even you would understand that the writings of Hunter S. Thompson seem a little "different" than an episode of Panorama. There isn't a neat little border at either end of that spectrum of journalism whereby cretins that treat a dictionary as an instruction manual can stop themselves from inadvertently crossing and becoming confused. You won't win this argument by recourse to a dictionary. You might if you could point to a critical mass of published material from Farage that has some (any) of the characteristics of journalistic inquiry.

Comment

OK lets ask more experts before you and others make up more rubbish. Some people back their assertions with references not insults.

Say the American Press Institute

What is journalism? Definition and meaning of the craft

Journalism is the activity of gathering, assessing, creating, and presenting news and information. It is also the product of these activities.
                Asking who is a journalist is the wrong question, because journalism can be produced by anyone.

Maybe the National Council for the training of journalists and them quoting the ONS.

https://www.nctj.com/downloadlibrary...ort%202018.pdf

There are a number of sources we can look to for an understanding of what is meant when we refer to a ‘journalist’. The ‘official’ occupational definition produced by the Office for National Statistics states that the job roles of ‘Journalists, newspaper and periodical editors’ are to:‘investigate and write up stories and features for broadcasting and for newspapers, magazines and other periodicals, evaluate and manage their style and content and oversee the editorial direction of these types of output and publication’
                as above Mr Farage has completed these activities for 2 major papers, Fox news & LBC. You may not like his style but he is officially a journalist.

Are Nick Ferrari or Ian Dale Journalists? They are "presenters" on LBC.

Its only torture because you are wrong!
                Last edited by vetran; 2 June 2020, 22:28.

Comment

OK lets ask more experts before you and others make up more rubbish. Some people back their assertions with references not insults.

Say the American Press Institute

What is journalism? Definition and meaning of the craft

Maybe the National Council for the training of journalists and them quoting the ONS.

https://www.nctj.com/downloadlibrary...ort%202018.pdf

as above Mr Farage has completed these activities for 2 major papers, Fox news & LBC. You may not like his style but he is officially a journalist.

Are Nick Ferrari or Ian Dale Journalists? They are "presenters" on LBC.

Its only torture because you are wrong!
                  The answer is easily available. You just need to ask me. Or keep on flailing if you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    The answer is easily available. You just need to ask me. Or keep on flailing if you prefer.

OK I will play, why DO YOU THINK he is not a Journalist?

Do show your working and link to suitable references.

Comment

OK I will play, why DO YOU THINK he is not a Journalist?

Do show your working and link to suitable references.
                      That question has a false premise. Why do you think I think he is not a journalist?

Show your working and link to posts I have made in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X