• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is a local shop for local people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a local shop for local people

Cornish village store tells residents they will only be served if they meet guidelines | Daily Mail Online

Village shop in Cornwall BANS outsiders who aren't 'registered with the local GP' or 'key workers with appropriate ID' to keep staff and customers safe during Covid-19 pandemic

• Downderry Stores, a village shop in Downderry, near Torpoint, has issued rules
    • They only allow permanent residents in who are key workers or registered at GP
    • Poster shared by employee said it was to keep the community safe in lockdown
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

You really need to understand the depth of feeling in those communities - not just Cornwall but any holiday area - where house prices are driven out of reach of the locals by part-time second homers who contribute to the community for about 12 -14 weeks a year on average and make it impossible for those communities to survive since the next generation locals can't afford to live there.

Hardly surprising people have limited sympathies with or tolerance for outsiders.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I wonder what would happen if and an outsider was suffering from Hypoglycemia?
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I grew up in a Surrey commuter village. Even with good wages most of us couldn't afford a house because so many were moving out of London.

Problem is everything has a value, it is what people are prepared to pay for it.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          You really need to understand the depth of feeling in those communities - not just Cornwall but any holiday area - where house prices are driven out of reach of the locals by part-time second homers who contribute to the community for about 12 -14 weeks a year on average and make it impossible for those communities to survive since the next generation locals can't afford to live there.

Hardly surprising people have limited sympathies with or tolerance for outsiders.
          Who sold the homes at inflated prices in the first place? Plus there is no min price for a house, locals could sell to locals at a reasonable price.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Second home owners are in for a frosty reception.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry...navirus-grants

"Holiday let owners have claimed £50 million of grants made available for Cornish businesses to survive the Covid-19 pandemic, it has been revealed.

According to the Local Democracy Reporting service (LDRS) 27% of the money from the governments Coronavirus Business Support scheme in Cornwall has gone to holiday lets."
            Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 1 June 2020, 11:29.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              Who sold the homes at inflated prices in the first place? Plus there is no min price for a house, locals could sell to locals at a reasonable price.
              Oh do grow up.

Buy an uninhabitable property for market price, spend £100k modernising it and sell it as a second home for as much as you can. The problem with the locals is they won't have the £100k or be able to afford two homes while the work is done.

Or you have your granny's cottage lying empty, so sell it for £90k to a local or £190k to some tosser from the Smoke.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                I grew up in a Surrey commuter village. Even with good wages most of us couldn't afford a house because so many were moving out of London.

Problem is everything has a value, it is what people are prepared to pay for it.
                I used to live in one of those. Prices absolutely sky rocketed at one point. Pity the ex-wife got it in a divorce settlement

On another note I spoke with a local estate agent here in Warwickshire this morning. He told me that he has had a surge in enquiries from people in London who are being put on full time WFH now and can live pretty much wherever they want. A place I saw online which he has on the market over the weekend was revised UP by £40k this morning. City/Wharf can be done in 2 hours from here. Looks like our peaceful hamlet will have an influx of "barclays bankers" soon
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                  I used to live in one of those. Prices absolutely sky rocketed at one point. Pity the ex-wife got it in a divorce settlement

On another note I spoke with a local estate agent here in Warwickshire this morning. He told me that he has had a surge in enquiries from people in London who are being put on full time WFH now and can live pretty much wherever they want. A place I saw online which he has on the market over the weekend was revised UP by £40k this morning. City/Wharf can be done in 2 hours from here. Looks like our peaceful hamlet will have an influx of "barclays bankers" soon
                  Excellent! They can all naff off and those of us who want to live in London will be able to afford something

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Excellent! They can all naff off and those of us who want to live in London will be able to afford something
                    No you keep the barclays bankers!
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X