• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is a local shop for local people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
    No you keep the barclays bankers!

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
      I used to live in one of those. Prices absolutely sky rocketed at one point. Pity the ex-wife got it in a divorce settlement

On another note I spoke with a local estate agent here in Warwickshire this morning. He told me that he has had a surge in enquiries from people in London who are being put on full time WFH now and can live pretty much wherever they want. A place I saw online which he has on the market over the weekend was revised UP by £40k this morning. City/Wharf can be done in 2 hours from here. Looks like our peaceful hamlet will have an influx of "barclays bankers" soon
      Yup

But I’m looking for France/Spain/Dubai

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Yup

But I’m looking for France/Spain/Dubai

Dubai? Ugh.

Italy may be better value (and not cos of that).

I would definitely buy in or around San Sebastian, northern Spain, but that's only because I haven't been down south yet - Jerez and Cadiz were on the to-do list before that came along and scuppered my plans. If I were to buy abroad, I would need to be close to the sea (ok Jerez isn't that close but, close ish).

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Dubai? Ugh.

Italy may be better value (and not cos of that).

I would definitely buy in or around San Sebastian, northern Spain, but that's only because I haven't been down south yet - Jerez and Cadiz were on the to-do list before that came along and scuppered my plans. If I were to buy abroad, I would need to be close to the sea (ok Jerez isn't that close but, close ish).
          Dubai - I lived there for a year back in the day, it’s ok it you don’t drink/drugs/swingers parties or gambling

Ohhhh hang on

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Oh do grow up.

Buy an uninhabitable property for market price, spend £100k modernising it and sell it as a second home for as much as you can. The problem with the locals is they won't have the £100k or be able to afford two homes while the work is done.

Or you have your granny's cottage lying empty, so sell it for £90k to a local or £190k to some tosser from the Smoke.
            Are you being deliberately obtuse?

The first is overcome by living onsite in a caravan or with local relatives etc, you can finance for modernising you know, where the Bank will release stepped payments. You're just looking for obstacles not solutions.

The second is hilarious, I want the tossers money but I don't want him in the village.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              The second is hilarious, I want the tossers money but I don't want him in the village.
              ... but you no longer care because you've sold up and moved away

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                Are you being deliberately obtuse?

The first is overcome by living onsite in a caravan or with local relatives etc, you can finance for modernising you know, where the Bank will release stepped payments. You're just looking for obstacles not solutions.

Spoken like someone with zero knowledge or awareness of small community reality. Especially in the more poorly paid parts of the country.

And a £100k loan for someone on minimum wage. Yeah, that will work...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You really need to understand the depth of feeling in those communities - not just Cornwall but any holiday area - where house prices are driven out of reach of the locals by part-time second homers who contribute to the community for about 12 -14 weeks a year on average and make it impossible for those communities to survive since the next generation locals can't afford to live there.

Hardly surprising people have limited sympathies with or tolerance for outsiders.
                    Soo they pay 12 months council tax and only use public resources for 12-14 weeks a year subsiding the rest? They are local heroes in my opinion
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Spoken like someone with zero knowledge or awareness of small community reality. Especially in the more poorly paid parts of the country.

And a £100k loan for someone on minimum wage. Yeah, that will work...
                      Coming from a small Yorkshire mining town in the eighties I know more than enough about the small minded inward looking tribalism that exists. So I left and joined the RAF learning some decent stuff. When I went back to visit I was told I was lucky because I had a job!
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X