This is a local shop for local people This is a local shop for local people
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 21

My post count is Majestic

vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

Default This is a local shop for local people

Cornish village store tells residents they will only be served if they meet guidelines | Daily Mail Online

Village shop in Cornwall BANS outsiders who aren't 'registered with the local GP' or 'key workers with appropriate ID' to keep staff and customers safe during Covid-19 pandemic

• Downderry Stores, a village shop in Downderry, near Torpoint, has issued rules
    • They only allow permanent residents in who are key workers or registered at GP
    • Poster shared by employee said it was to keep the community safe in lockdown
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Double Godlike!

malvolio - scorchio!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

You really need to understand the depth of feeling in those communities - not just Cornwall but any holiday area - where house prices are driven out of reach of the locals by part-time second homers who contribute to the community for about 12 -14 weeks a year on average and make it impossible for those communities to survive since the next generation locals can't afford to live there.

Hardly surprising people have limited sympathies with or tolerance for outsiders.
    Blog? What blog...?

Double Godlike!

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

I wonder what would happen if and an outsider was suffering from Hypoglycemia?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

我们不是病毒

My post count is Majestic

vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

I grew up in a Surrey commuter village. Even with good wages most of us couldn't afford a house because so many were moving out of London.

Problem is everything has a value, it is what people are prepared to pay for it.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Super poster

Gibbon is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    You really need to understand the depth of feeling in those communities - not just Cornwall but any holiday area - where house prices are driven out of reach of the locals by part-time second homers who contribute to the community for about 12 -14 weeks a year on average and make it impossible for those communities to survive since the next generation locals can't afford to live there.

Hardly surprising people have limited sympathies with or tolerance for outsiders.
    Who sold the homes at inflated prices in the first place? Plus there is no min price for a house, locals could sell to locals at a reasonable price.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Contractor Among Contractors

DealorNoDeal is NOT a disguised employee

Second home owners are in for a frosty reception.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry...navirus-grants

"Holiday let owners have claimed £50 million of grants made available for Cornish businesses to survive the Covid-19 pandemic, it has been revealed.

According to the Local Democracy Reporting service (LDRS) 27% of the money from the governments Coronavirus Business Support scheme in Cornwall has gone to holiday lets."
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 1st June 2020 at 11:29.

Double Godlike!

malvolio - scorchio!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
    Who sold the homes at inflated prices in the first place? Plus there is no min price for a house, locals could sell to locals at a reasonable price.
    Oh do grow up.

Buy an uninhabitable property for market price, spend £100k modernising it and sell it as a second home for as much as you can. The problem with the locals is they won't have the £100k or be able to afford two homes while the work is done.

Or you have your granny's cottage lying empty, so sell it for £90k to a local or £190k to some tosser from the Smoke.
    Blog? What blog...?

Should post faster

courtg9000 is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    I grew up in a Surrey commuter village. Even with good wages most of us couldn't afford a house because so many were moving out of London.

Problem is everything has a value, it is what people are prepared to pay for it.
    I used to live in one of those. Prices absolutely sky rocketed at one point. Pity the ex-wife got it in a divorce settlement

On another note I spoke with a local estate agent here in Warwickshire this morning. He told me that he has had a surge in enquiries from people in London who are being put on full time WFH now and can live pretty much wherever they want. A place I saw online which he has on the market over the weekend was revised UP by £40k this morning. City/Wharf can be done in 2 hours from here. Looks like our peaceful hamlet will have an influx of "barclays bankers" soon
    Former IPSE member
    Main website | News and blog | Magazine

Godlike

ladymuck is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by courtg9000 View Post
    I used to live in one of those. Prices absolutely sky rocketed at one point. Pity the ex-wife got it in a divorce settlement

On another note I spoke with a local estate agent here in Warwickshire this morning. He told me that he has had a surge in enquiries from people in London who are being put on full time WFH now and can live pretty much wherever they want. A place I saw online which he has on the market over the weekend was revised UP by £40k this morning. City/Wharf can be done in 2 hours from here. Looks like our peaceful hamlet will have an influx of "barclays bankers" soon
    Excellent! They can all naff off and those of us who want to live in London will be able to afford something

Should post faster

courtg9000 is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Excellent! They can all naff off and those of us who want to live in London will be able to afford something
    No you keep the barclays bankers!
    Former IPSE member
    Main website | News and blog | Magazine