• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Donald Trump has threatened to send in the military

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donald Trump has threatened to send in the military

Army v The People?
    This is the stuff of third world basket cases. The guy’s lost the plot.

President Donald Trump has threatened to send in the military to quell growing civil unrest in the US over the death of a black man in police custody.
    He said if cities and states failed to control the protests and "defend their residents" he would deploy the army and "quickly solve the problem for them".
    Protests over the death of George Floyd are entering their seventh day.
    As Mr Trump spoke at the White House, police cleared protesters from a nearby park with tear gas and rubber bullets.
    The president then crossed the park and posed next to a damaged church, provoking widespread criticism from those who accused him of aggressively targeting the peaceful demonstrators in aid of a photo opportunity.
    ■ Live updates from around the US
    ■ 'Unacceptable' attacks on reporters at Floyd protests
    ■ Separating fact from fiction online
    Meanwhile, dozens of major cities have imposed overnight curfews. New York City is under lockdown until 05:00 (09:00 GMT) on Tuesday and Washington DC has extended its curfew for another two nights.
    But demonstrations have largely continued unabated. They began after a video showed Mr Floyd, 46, being arrested in Minneapolis on 25 May and a white police officer continuing to kneel on his neck even after he pleaded that he could not breathe.
    The officer, Derek Chauvin, has been charged with third-degree murder and will appear in court next week. Three other police officers have been fired.
    On Monday, an official post-mortem examination declared Mr Floyd's death a homicide.
    What did Trump say?
    The president delivered a brief address from the White House Rose Garden on Monday evening, and it was marked by the sound of a nearby protest being dispersed.
    Mr Trump said "all Americans were rightly sickened and revolted by the brutal death of George Floyd" but said his memory must not be "drowned out by an angry mob".
    He described the scenes of looting and violence in the capital on Sunday as "a total disgrace" before pledging to bolster the city's defences.
    "I'm dispatching thousands and thousands of heavily armed soldiers, military personnel and law enforcement officers to stop the rioting, looting, vandalism, assaults and the wanton destruction of property," he said.

George Floyd death: Trump threatens to send in troops to end unrest George Floyd death: Trump threatens to send in troops to end unrest - BBC News
    Last edited by scooterscot; 2 June 2020, 07:36.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

If the rioting, looting, and physical destruction continues; and the police can’t control it; of course the use of the military needs to be on the table.

How would you calm it down?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      If the rioting, looting, and physical destruction continues; and the police can’t control it; of course the use of the military needs to be on the table.

Charts.

Comment

More salary slaves, more paid health insurance. More capitalism overall.
        How do you think they've done it so far?

Comment

If Trump loses the election in November, god help us all. He would still be President until January, and he may want to leave with a BANG.

If he thinks he is going to lose, things could get scary even before the election.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
            How do you think they've done it so far?
            Overall - pretty well.

But the system is geared for the ultra elites.

Things need rebalancing.

Peacefully.

Comment

Things need rebalancing.

Peacefully.

Fair enough, I suggest you then follow the Blackout Tuesday and keep away from social media for the day. That's sure to shake some feathers....
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I'd probably not start by tear gassing peaceful protesters outside a church so I can get a photo opportunity of me holding the bible by said church to tell the people the military is coming to serve you a can of whoopass.

Protesters Dispersed With Tear Gas So Trump Could Pose at Church

“He did not pray,” said Mariann E. Budde, the Episcopal bishop of Washington. “He did not mention George Floyd, he did not mention the agony of people who have been subjected to this kind of horrific expression of racism and white supremacy for hundreds of years.”

We need Obama now more than ever.
                Last edited by scooterscot; 2 June 2020, 07:43.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  I'd probably not start by tear gassing peaceful protesters
                  Macron’s been doing that every weekend for over a year.

Comment

You confuse / equate rioters with protestors as you wish, there's no reasoning to be made here with that thinking.

Comment

Working...
                    X