• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I thought blackface was racist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Possibly i am missing something.

Can someone please explain to me why colour is important in this case?
    I have seen nothing that suggested the outcome of the Police brutality would have been different if the suspect had been white?
    I suspect that, if the suspect had been white, the copper wouldn't have knelt on their neck for quite so long.

Comment

Possibly i am missing something.

Can someone please explain to me why colour is important in this case?
      I have seen nothing that suggested the outcome of the Police brutality would have been different if the suspect had been white?
      Colour is always important in the US. It's down to their history. If you fail to understand that, you will never understand events across the pond.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I suspect that, if the suspect had been white, the copper wouldn't have knelt on their neck for quite so long.

That is what worries me it is suspect/ guess.

Not denying that there probably is racism both in the Police force and the country but there doesn't seem to be any overtly evident in this case.

Amnesty suggest that US police are pretty much equal opportunity brutes. They do abuse more BAME than white but no one knows how many because they don't collect data.

A deadly force: Police violence in the USA | Amnesty International UK

All 50 US states and the District of Columbia fail to comply with international standards on police use of lethal force.Thirteen states also fail to meet the lower standards set by US constitutional law on the use of lethal force by law enforcement officers, while nine states and the District of Columbia have no laws at all on the use of lethal force – including Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Colour is always important in the US. It's down to their history. If you fail to understand that, you will never understand events across the pond.

It may be important to them but it may not be relevant in this case.

If it is just Police Brutality against a poor suspect that is completely different to the Cop going BAME hunting surely?

Comment

If it is just Police Brutality against a poor suspect that is completely different to the Cop going BAME hunting surely?
            I understand where you're coming from. The difficulty lies in unconscious bias - some cops will behave, out of habit almost, differently towards a black person than a white person whilst honestly not believing they are BAME hunting.

Comment

The fact that it is important them to is massively relevant. Violence towards black people (even if justified) is viewed through the lens of (as they see it) systematic oppression. "Oh but on this occasion it was just police brutality" doesn't really cut any ice. So much of the violence towards black people can, in isolation, be seen as "police brutality". It's only in aggregate that it becomes clear it's "institutional racism". Is what activists would tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I understand where you're coming from. The difficulty lies in unconscious bias - some cops will behave, out of habit almost, differently towards a black person than a white person whilst honestly not believing they are BAME hunting.

hmm I can sort of see that, however if we are ever going to fix this we need to reverse that assumption both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  The fact that it is important them to is massively relevant. Violence towards black people (even if justified) is viewed through the lens of (as they see it) systematic oppression. "Oh but on this occasion it was just police brutality" doesn't really cut any ice. So much of the violence towards black people can, in isolation, be seen as "police brutality". It's only in aggregate that it becomes clear it's "institutional racism". Is what activists would tell you.
                  I would want to engage an show that, no this was just an incompetent set of officers who used bad restraint techniques.

By all means if they are racist we can add 10 years to their sentence.

The institutionalised racism is something repeatedly aimed at UK Police but with little proof.

Comment

Met Police accused of racism as officer handcuffs black ambulance driver | Metro News

London police accused of racial profiling in lockdown searches | UK news | The Guardian
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

various stuff about racism and how things "should be"
                      You've already got your thread talking about these things here: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ntbreathe.html

Comment

Working...
                      X