• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lasted 1 day in my permie role :banana:

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Mate of mine managed 45 minutes (including break) at the Golden Arches, one of his proudest moments
    I once got fired after 20 minutes once (well the morning after) in my younger years. I had a gig delivering shopping catalogs to homes in my local area. Hours to suit, it said. So I decided to have a go at it at half past midnight on the way home from the pub.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
      I once got fired after 20 minutes once (well the morning after) in my younger years. I had a gig delivering shopping catalogs to homes in my local area. Hours to suit, it said. So I decided to have a go at it at half past midnight on the way home from the pub.
      I'm not worthy!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

the final update...

I was asked by the HR to have a discussion with two managers from around there.
        Starting from my resignation and complaint that: pay is peanuts, contractual terms are tulip and the work scope is not exactly what I was expecting it to be. (did not mention the pay...)

So basically was put in a meeting with those two managers, not sure what they are after but they just bullied me for about 30 minutes. Telling me how I was all wrong and putting me down with everything.
        What the actual f...
        Started a role, than quickly left, waving any pay, apologising for what was slightly mis-sold role.

Is this what you have to put up with? Is the permanent life some type labour house where your satisfaction has to be derived from pure pain and misery?
        I am becoming so paranoid that David Grabber's theory from "Bulltulip Jobs" is very palpable for me. The elites are oppressing us with labour and keeping us in what is now the new "managerial feudalism" to keep structure in society and us from causing trouble.

I had some insinuations from first day that I should join on site at some point. I am sure they would have been keen on that 1-2 weeks into the role.
        My contract said no sick days during probation period and also unpaid lay-off. So basically I could have gotten sick visiting their site, went to hospital and when returning home to no job and potential financial ruin.
        How are they even allowed to do these things?

Comment

Sounds like you did totally the right thing in bailing early.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
            My contract said no sick days during probation period and also unpaid lay-off. So basically I could have gotten sick visiting their site, went to hospital and when returning home to no job and potential financial ruin.
            How are they even allowed to do these things?
            It's a bit of a jump from "sick and sacked during probation" means "potential financial ruin"
            Sounds a bit drama-queen to me.

If you don't have a big enough war chest to last 6 weeks, it was probably a bad idea to be contracting, never mind taking a permanent job.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Why the hell take a tulip permie role?

I mean if you are going to take a permie role, take a friggin half decent one FFS!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                It's a bit of a jump from "sick and sacked during probation" means "potential financial ruin"
                Sounds a bit drama-queen to me.

If you don't have a big enough war chest to last 6 weeks, it was probably a bad idea to be contracting, never mind taking a permanent job.
                It is a bit of a drama... but that scenario is very likely. Otherwise why would they bother overriding the law with contract clauses, that obviously puts off people going forward with the role, if you are never going to use them?
                Would you trust they would not use them? I would not.
                Still have resources left and it won't be the case for me, I'd rather move with my parents than take a deal that I am not entirely happy with. I will never go on benefits as well, out of principle.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Why the hell take a tulip permie role?

I mean if you are going to take a permie role, take a friggin half decent one FFS!
                I was an idiot... sounded half decent.
                It was not.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Sounds like you did totally the right thing in bailing early.
                Have some friends that would disagree, but they are the kind occupying tulipty perm jobs so ...
                Definitely the right decision, should have had the courage to do it half day into it.
                Last edited by GigiBronz; 4 June 2020, 14:24.

Comment

What sector are these people in?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                    What sector are these people in?
                    Engineering R&D, they are building an innovative product for the transport sector. Probably all I can say without giving too much.
                    Slightly bigger than a start-up and a lot more infrastructure involved. Equipment and test cells usually run in the millions but they are definitely too cheap to treat people right.

Comment

Had one or two jobs where I regretted staying, one was though the early 90s. The technology and challenge were great the bosses were horrible. Pay was low but bearable. I left and doubled my money, more importantly my happiness.

One was a few years ago on my 6th boss in about 5 years he lied to me repeatedly and set me up to fail. After redundancy I got a job that paid less

Eventually I upset the director by explaining how the solution they had decided on was wrong, cue 3 months notice=Garden leave.Got a new job before the notice expired I am earning more than ever before and I love the challenge!

Key thing you are a long time dead enjoy work and get paid a decent amount, don't let yourself get screwed over.

Back when I was temping I left at the end of the week etc if they were really bad. Never done it in a day.
                      Last edited by vetran; 4 June 2020, 19:33.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X