• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lasted 1 day in my permie role :banana:

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lasted 1 day in my permie role :banana:

So, as the title says, my current tenure as a permi is ending today after starting yesterday.

Initially though it would be a good time to find a more secure position.

Only to discover money was peanuts(but still made comfort with it and went on) pursued it with the hope that I will get more pleasure out of the actual work.

The contract was pushed through last minute, was not quite happy with the terms but I said... hey maybe I will enjoy the work.

Started only to find out that in involves an activity that I despise: managing test technicians. On the short: the role is for an engineering R&D comp and involves developing simulation models for their product along side the actual product. But they are really short staffed and have to cover all around including...

Contract terms include a clause of potential lay off without pay. Was not put off initially as blamed it on an insecure HR department but spoken with someone from a different company and apparently the "new contracts" there come with that as well. So it could be the all expected brexit benefit.

Back to unemployed life baby

Time to decompress...

I hope they bill you for all the time you wasted
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I hope they bill you for all the time you wasted
      If you are expecting a company to be honest about all the terms and what you are going to do.
      Than don't.

The more bad apples the more they will appreciate good people, and spend more on them.

Ironically the recruitment agent called and was talking about switching to contract so I could be in the end billing for that.
      I do not expect that to happen though and at this point I would happily go away.

If you are happy to be pushed around with low pay, permanent but with actually no rights, be my guest, I quite appreciate not being a salary sclave.

Comment

Always ask for a copy of the contract before I start. Seems to help.

Sorry to hear that, I suspect employers think they are in a buyers market again.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Err, what happened with having signed contract before starting?

Comment

Well, actually did sign it last minute. Thought it would be hard to get HR to change anything and work sounded interesting enough.
            The straw the broke the camels back was the extended expectations to take care of the test rigs. That always ends badly.
            And to put it as I have mentioned to HR: it involves an compromise on all fronts.

Questioning as well if they do succeed to get funding for the future so probably better this way.

Nobody getting the George Costanza references? No people of culture around here...?

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
              Well, actually did sign it last minute. Thought it would be hard to get HR to change anything and work sounded interesting enough.
              The straw the broke the camels back was the extended expectations to take care of the test rigs. That always ends badly.
              And to put it as I have mentioned to HR: it involves an compromise on all fronts.

Questioning as well if they do succeed to get funding for the future so probably better this way.

Nobody getting the George Costanza references? No people of culture around here...?
              Not US TV culture - I had to google who George Costanza was, I've never watched Seinfeld.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Not US TV culture
                Because we have culture.

Do "you may be laid off at any minute without pay" clauses not conflict with UK employment law? I can't see how they don't.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

My record is two weeks. 1 day is impressive.

Comment

I lasted one day in a contract role once.

Turned up, spent a day being trotted about hearing what the role was actually about and called the agency on my way home at the end of the day to quit.

Being nice, I waived my fee for that day as a gesture of good will.

Comment

Working...
                    X