• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lasted 1 day in my permie role :banana:

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Back when I was temping I left at the end of the week etc if they were really bad. Never done it in a day.
    You haven't lived.

The hilarious thing about the contract I walked on, apart from the code stuffed with magic numbers and the 5 week deadline for an exhibition, was the HR biddy going through all the ins & outs of their permie terms & conditions.

I decided life was just too short.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
      It is a bit of a drama... but that scenario is very likely. Otherwise why would they bother overriding the law with contract clauses, that obviously puts off people going forward with the role, if you are never going to use them?
      Would you trust they would not use them? I would not.
      Still have resources left and it won't be the case for me, I'd rather move with my parents than take a deal that I am not entirely happy with. I will never go on benefits as well, out of principle.

I was an idiot... sounded half decent.
      It was not.

Have some friends that would disagree, but they are the kind occupying tulipty perm jobs so ...
      Definitely the right decision, should have had the courage to do it half day into it.
      Seems they dodged a bullet with you.

Sounds like a standard employment contract to me - definitely not overriding the law (that would make the contract null and void )

Maybe next time, read the contract before you start. Maybe look at the role spec before the interview (I assume you had an interview) and before you start (this goes of course wit regards to contract roles too). There is no difference starting a contract role to a perm role - you find a role, you apply, you interview (you're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you), you get the offer, you accept the offer, you get the contract, you ensure it matches what you discussed in the interview and the offer that you have accepted. You rock up on first day - pretty simple fella

Yep, sounds like they dodged a bullet
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Seems they dodged a bullet with you.

Sounds like a standard employment contract to me - definitely not overriding the law (that would make the contract null and void )

Maybe next time, read the contract before you start. Maybe look at the role spec before the interview (I assume you had an interview) and before you start (this goes of course wit regards to contract roles too). There is no difference starting a contract role to a perm role - you find a role, you apply, you interview (you're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you), you get the offer, you accept the offer, you get the contract, you ensure it matches what you discussed in the interview and the offer that you have accepted. You rock up on first day - pretty simple fella

Yep, sounds like they dodged a bullet
        Thanks, valuable advice. Same as your usual opinions.
        Worthy less.

It was my fault for going ahead with it, I have not said different anywhere in here.

You might not be wrong about the contract terms, no pay lay-off is starting to become standard. Means they are under obligation to provide you with work, similar to a contractor but poorly paid.
        It is the no red tape, employment at will you have in america. Not the salaries, significantly better there.

Anyway, take what you want out of it, was more of a rant and maybe would bring some joy to some of the people looking for a role and finding it hard.
        Last edited by GigiBronz; 4 June 2020, 19:25.

Comment

Thanks, valuable advice. Same as your usual opinions.
          Worthy less.

It was my fault for going ahead with it, I have not said different anywhere in here.

You might not be wrong about the contract terms, no pay lay-off is starting to become standard. Means they are under obligation to provide you with work, similar to a contractor but poorly paid.
          It is the no red tape, employment at will you have in america. Not the salaries, significantly better there.

Anyway, take what you want out of it, was more of a rant and maybe would bring some joy to some of the people looking for a role and finding it hard.
          If you're looking for valuable advice, maybe CUK General isn't the place to post

Not sure how your post would bring any joy to someone looking for a role but finding it hard. Surely seeing a post from you throwing away a role, when they can't find one, is just going to make them think you're taking the P.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Engineering R&D, they are building an innovative product for the transport sector. Probably all I can say without giving too much.
            Slightly bigger than a start-up and a lot more infrastructure involved. Equipment and test cells usually run in the millions but they are definitely too cheap to treat people right.
            If it's a bicycle, you might want to break it to them gently, but someone's beaten them to it...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Engineering R&D, they are building an innovative product for the transport sector. Probably all I can say without giving too much.
              Slightly bigger than a start-up and a lot more infrastructure involved. Equipment and test cells usually run in the millions but they are definitely too cheap to treat people right.
              Not something to do with rail travel was it by any chance? <he asks cryptically>

Comment

I suspect the problem wasn't them. Maybe the problem was you.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  If it's a bicycle, you might want to break it to them gently, but someone's beaten them to it...

Indicators for BMWs.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    If you're looking for valuable advice, maybe CUK General isn't the place to post

Not sure how your post would bring any joy to someone looking for a role but finding it hard. Surely seeing a post from you throwing away a role, when they can't find one, is just going to make them think you're taking the P.
                    Not sure if you are, but you do sound like one so...:

ok boomer.

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    If it's a bicycle...
                    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                    Not something to do with rail... <he asks cryptically>
                    It involves an engine with an alternative source of fuel. Not rail.
                    But I would have questioned their potential of getting funds in the future. They've already had a few failed pilot attempts.
                    There are some challenges with the product that are probably not so easy to get through.

As every company, now they are propped by gov money, torrents of easy money. grants, furloughs loans.
                    That would have ended shortly and not quite sure how they would have managed afterwords.

Also I would suspect the CEOs CTOs and the likes, they are clever people, they would have lined their pockets first, milked the cow dry before putting it in administration.
                    And interests of the people on the ground put last.

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    I suspect the problem wasn't them. Maybe the problem was you.
                    Well I did not say any different, I've compromised bits and bobs until I no longer felt comfortable.
                    The lesson is here that:

Sometimes, even if we feel the things might not be quite right, we tend to lie to ourselves. Feel the pressure to blend in, people around us might say we are WRONG.
                    Then it is on us to have the strengths to say no and follow what we feel it is the right path for us.
                    No job is better than bad job.
                    Long term I know it would have affected my motivation, I wouldn't have been able to perform the role at my full ability.
                    Ultimately affecting both parties and also my prospects to secure a challenging role somewhere else.

Comment

It involves an engine with an alternative source of fuel. Not rail.
                      Was the fuel hay and did the engine produce 746-2983W depending on how the harness/tack is configured?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X