• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lasted 1 day in my permie role :banana:

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Was the fuel hay and did the engine produce 746-2983W depending on how the harness/tack is configured?
    Most efficient way known to man for converting money into manure.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Was the fuel hay and did the engine produce 746-2983W depending on how the harness/tack is configured?
      No. But is it wrong if the though of working with animals in the field get me more excited? (the right type of excitement...)
      It involves working with technicians though... not sure how many of you have had the pleasure but you often need to have maintenance work done to the engine/test cell.
      You need to get parts replaced or fault finding work. Most of them are so non-cooperative that you eventually learn to do the operations yourself.
      And if anything goes wrong, be prepared to be blamed for not providing clearer instructions. This was the last straw, the realisation that due to limited resources I would have had to interact with those people more.
      If the ratio of technical / administrative work is bad you eventually get so frustrated that you give up. That was my deepest fear.

I should get a freaking journal I believe...

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        Most efficient way known to man for converting money into manure.

You've not taken financial advice from Scootie.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Indicators for BMWs.
          Destined to fail - no market for them
          Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            My record is two weeks. 1 day is impressive.
            Huh, Once I accepted the role, everything signed, start date fixed and I didn't turn-up to work on the first day.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I lasted one day in a contract role once.

Turned up, spent a day being trotted about hearing what the role was actually about and called the agency on my way home at the end of the day to quit.

Being nice, I waived my fee for that day as a gesture of good will.
              I did the same on a inside contract at Southend-on-Sea with a public client. Couldn't bear even standing inside that building.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                It involves an engine with an alternative source of fuel. Not rail.
                Inneresting.

I worked for a week for a nutcase who had a new design for an engine "that Porsche were innerested in".

He went to gaol for fraud eventually, much to my delight & celebration.

Apparently he never paid a penny in business rates or rent to the council.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Inneresting.

I worked for a week for a nutcase who had a new design for an engine "that Porsche were innerested in".

He went to gaol for fraud eventually, much to my delight & celebration.

Apparently he never paid a penny in business rates or rent to the council.
                  Quite a few of them at wild.More surprised by the organisations throwing money at them... Maybe we are the ones doing something wrong. Who knows...?

Comment

Apologies if I am stating the obvious here...

but you can and should negotiate (salary, title, responsibilities, work location, benefits etc) before taking a perm role

Comment

Originally posted by GreenT View Post
                      Apologies if I am stating the obvious here...

but you can and should negotiate (salary, title, responsibilities, work location, benefits etc) before taking a perm role
                      Well, you do, you get to a position where you are fairly happy with the role. You get more information, re-evaluate and see if you are still happy.
                      If you are not happy you do something about it.

There is always a level of compromise involved, especially when market is not that great, they know it, you know it. An equilibrium is reached in the negotiation when both parties are slightly uncomfortable. You might get a sense of the environment during the interview but a lot of times you find the uncomfortable truth when you start. Sometimes there is effort added during the interview to deviate the conversation from the sensitive parts. You could compromise and live with it or just take to the woods.

If we live, indeed, in the same world, do you make only binary decisions?

Comment

Working...
                      X