• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immigration

I wonder what Farage, Hopkins, Robinson, et. al. will say about the influx of People from hong Kong (although they will presumably have to quarantine for 14 days first):

Boris Johnson has said he will offer nearly three million people in Hong Kong a route to UK citizenship if China imposes a security law that critics say would rob the territory of its autonomy.
    Boris Johnson lays out visa offer to nearly 3m Hong Kong citizens | World news | The Guardian

It's probably okay as they're not East Europeans...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

He is going to need Voters at the next GE to take up the vacuum he has left in the Tory electorate (I WAS one of them until 2018), due to Cummings / IR35 / Morality / Honesty / Patel / Jenrick etc etc...

(No alternative parties are available, however).
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      I wonder what Farage, Hopkins, Robinson, et. al. will say about the influx of People from hong Kong (although they will presumably have to quarantine for 14 days first):

Boris Johnson lays out visa offer to nearly 3m Hong Kong citizens | World news | The Guardian

It's probably okay as they're not East Europeans...
      Or Turks.

Comment

Do we really morally have a choice after we abandoned them to China?

Many people were against that as they predicted this (the abuse and resulting fleeing) would happen.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Do we really morally have a choice after we abandoned them to China?

Many people were against that as they predicted this (the abuse and resulting fleeing) would happen.
          How were they abandoned exactly?

Convention for the Extension of Hong Kong Territory - Wikipedia
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

Well while the territory was under the British the Hong Kong residents enjoyed more freedoms than those under the communist government. Many wanted to remain under the British as they fear that the Chinese will remove the freedoms they had.

A Brief History of Protest in Post-Handover Hong Kong | Time
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I think it's right to support the people of HK if China continue to erode the one country, two systems framework.

HK is a great place and I'm quite concerned about its future. Independence is another option but I can't see that happening - China still has designs on Taiwan and I heard on R4 this morning that they've dropped the word 'peaceful' from their thoughts on that topic.

Comment

i'd quite welcome innovative, hard working, free market orientated Hong Kongers
                Last edited by filthy1980; 3 June 2020, 09:38.

Comment

That should prop up housing market nicely - assuming HK residents will be happy in sunny Shires

Comment

I wonder what the journalist Farage thinks about people wanting to come to Britain to escape an oppressive regime?

Comment

Working...
                    X