• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chauvin more history

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chauvin more history

https://www.thedailybeast.com/minnea...n-george-floyd

[COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]“All I could do is assume it was the police because they didn’t announce themselves or ever give me a command,” he said. “I didn’t know what to think when he started hitting me. I swear he was hitting me with the gun.”[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]According to local news reports, Chauvin shot and wounded Toles after he allegedly reached for an officer’s gun. Toles said he doesn’t remember being shot—just “being walked through the apartment until I collapsed in the main entrance where I was left to bleed until the paramedics came.” [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]“I remember my baby mother screaming and crying also,” he added.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]Toles was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he said he stayed for about three days. There, he learned Chauvin had shot him at such close range that the bullet went through his groin and came out his left butt cheek before hitting the bathroom wall. The wound, he said, left a hole that “never really closed” and is so large he can still stick a finger inside. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]Once he was released from the hospital, Toles said he was taken directly to court, where he was charged with two felony counts of obstructing legal process or arrest and a misdemeanor count of domestic assault. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]“I would assume my reaction would be to try to stop him from hitting me. If his first reaction was hitting me in the face that means I can’t see and I’m too disoriented to first locate his gun and then try to take it from him and for what?” Toles said. “To turn a misdemeanor disorderly situation into a felony situation that could have resulted in me dying? He tried to kill me in that bathroom.” [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]Toles said he only spent a day or two in jail—where he was denied pain pills—for the charges before he was released. Three months later, he said he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge as part of a deal.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]Chauvin and the other officers involved were put on paid administrative leave pending an investigation into the shooting—a standard procedure for the Minneapolis Police Department—but were later placed back into the field. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]He added that while he never filed a complaint in 2008, he is now looking to sue the Minneapolis Police Department for the violent incident.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]Chauvin, who joined the force in 2001, has also been involved in several other police-involved shootings throughout his career. According to Communities United Against Police Brutality, 10 complaints have been filed against the now-former police officer—but Chauvin only ever received two verbal reprimands.[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]In 2006, Chauvin was involved in the fatal shooting of 42-year-old Wayne Reyes, who allegedly stabbed two people before reportedly turning a gun on police. Chauvin was among six officers to respond to the stabbing. A year prior, Chauvin and another officer were also chasing a car that then hit and killed three people, according to Communities United Against Police Brutality.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]In 2011, the officer was also one of five officers placed on a standard three-day leave after the non-fatal shooting of a Native American man. The officers returned to work after the department determined that they had acted “appropriately.”[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]The city’s Civilian Review Authority, which lists complaints prior to September 2012, shows five more complaints against Chauvin, which were closed without discipline. A prisoner at a Minnesota correctional facility sued Chauvin and seven other officers for “alleged violations of his federal constitutional rights” in 2006, although the case was dismissed and the details were not clear.[/COLOR]
    Minneapolis police officer involved in weekend shooting ID’d – Twin Cities

According to police:Just before 2 a.m., 911 dispatchers received a call from a residence at 1828 Columbus Ave. S. According to police, the 911 call remained open, and an operator could hear a woman yelling for someone to stop hitting her.
    Chauvin and another officer who responded had to force their way into the apartment.
    Toles ran from the officers as soon as they got inside, but they caught and tried to subdue him, according to police. In the struggle, Toles grabbed at one of the officer’s guns. Chauvin fired at Toles and hit him in the torso.
    Toles was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center.
    The officers are on paid administrative leave pending an investigation of the shooting, as is standard Minneapolis police department policy.
    Chauvin started the Minneapolis Police Academy in October 2001. He has worked in the first, third, fourth precincts and the water works security detail. Earlier this year, he was awarded a department medal of valor for his response in an incident involving a man armed with a gun.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ry-complaints/

A summary of the complaints against Chauvin posted by the department offers no information on why they were filed, and police declined to comment on the nature of the cases. Sixteen of the complaints were closed without discipline. The remaining complaint resulted in two letters of reprimand against Chauvin, according to the summary.

Complaints against police can range from relatively benign issues such as showing up late for duty to severe offenses such as using excessive force. Ronal Serpas, a former head of police in New Orleans, Nashville and Washington state, said it was difficult to draw conclusions about Chauvin’s complaint file without more information but noted that 17 appeared to be higher than average.
    “It’s a little unusual to have essentially one a year for 19 years,” Serpas told The Washington Post. “That’s a concern even if he was late every time. It would certainly catch my attention.”

Two years later, Chauvin opened fire on Ira Latrell Toles, then 21, while he was responding to a domestic disturbance call, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported at the time. When Chauvin and another officer arrived, Toles locked himself in a bathroom. Chauvin forced his way in. He shot Toles twice in the abdomen during a struggle, saying later that Toles tried to grab his gun.
    Toles, who survived the shooting and pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge, said he fought back against Chauvin in self-defense.
    In 2006, he was one of six officers on the scene when Minneapolis police shot and killed a stabbing suspect. The suspect, 42-year-old Wayne Reyes, allegedly drew a shotgun on officers, prompting several of them to open fire, police told the Minneapolis Star Tribune at the time. A grand jury declined to bring charges in the case.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Working...
X