• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Isolation - Working from Home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isolation - Working from Home

I know a lot more people have been working form home during the virus, I have been working from home for the past 15 years.

It definitely has it's benefits:
    - No commute
    - Can complete other non - work tasks
    - Control work environment
    - Flexibility working schedule

However there have been a number of problems that I have found difficult to cope with isolation - no chance of making friends from work and being alone in the house for long periods

I have considered going back to work in an office, but the main benefits above are lost and I would very much like to keep them.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this and what they might have done to combat this?

I've made literally hundreds for friends on CUK.

HTH BIDI

Comment

For many, the balance is had by doing a day or two in the office. I truly believe it helps to build relationships to meet people in person but, just to contradict myself, the team I'm on is entirely virtual due to current events and I think we've done quite well but it's too early to say whether we've become 'friends'.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I've made literally hundreds for friends on CUK.

HTH BIDI
        And Facebook is your friend. If you can avoid getting banned.

Comment

The last 10 weeks has shown I could never have a 100% WFH gig, as LM said one or two days in the office is the right balance (although saying that having two kids at home too might have skewed my view on WFH full time, but then again would it be worse in an empty silent house?)
          Last edited by SimonMac; 4 June 2020, 09:04.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

In reference to controlling the work environment, on our daily coffee morning call we had a lively discusion about how there's no aircon wars when WFH. All the old tropes got trotted out for faked shock reactions to raise a cheap laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by stphnstevey View Post
              I know a lot more people have been working form home during the virus, I have been working from home for the past 15 years.

- No commute
              - Flexibility working schedule

However there have been a number of problems that I have found difficult to cope with isolation - no chance of making friends from work and being alone in the house for long periods

I have considered going back to work in an office, but the main benefits above are lost and I would very much like to keep them.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this and what they might have done to combat this?
              I love this new WFH thing. My client site has remained open throughout but I only go in once every week or two. I'm going in this afternoon, but not particularly looking forward to it.

The main thing that I find helps me make the most of it is that I'm out for a walk at 7 / 7:15 every morning. I'm lucky to live by a couple of beaches and the weather has been amazing up until yesterday. I meet a friend once a week and bring my older daughter once a week. I have a nice bunch of contractor and permie colleagues and I tend to just pick up the phone, Zoom, whatever and speak to someone just for a chat three times a week or so.

I'm also lucky that I live with my family and we all get on. If you're on your own it may be trickier. Perhaps you can make an effort to meet someone for a morning walk 3 or 4 times a week? Starting the day well is a lot of the battle IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                And Facebook is your friend. If you can avoid getting banned.
                Not at the moment. Becky from Bolton, who is currently on furlough from her nail salon, was a Coronavirus expert last week. Now she's solving the hatred of black people in 'murica better than MLK could ever have dreamt of.
                I've unfollowed more people in the last three months than I have in the whole of the time before that since unfollow was introduced.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by stphnstevey View Post

- No commute
                  - Flexibility wankingg schedule

?
                  Fixed that for you

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                  X