• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spending Block

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I also buy cheap phones. Current beauty is the Nokia 2.2 - €79.

Wiley Fox 2 £65 Amazon refurb.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Get a hobby, something that can distract you , i.e. draw your attention (time off) to, something that is challenging to do well, so you can't just buy your way to success and something that enables you to work your cost saving itch at the same time.

Two that come to mind:

Sailing
      - Plenty of distractions to fund in the hope of going a bit faster.
      - Hard to do well - you cannot control the weather and requires time on the water vs book learning.
      - Opportunity for social and travel - x-channel, the med etc with your own, or rent one down route.
      - rent / own / shared methods of owning - few £££ to how much have you got +++

Flying (specifically, gliding as its a bit easier to get started - you can be solo in a week)
      - Plenty of distractions to fund you going a bit further / faster
      - Opportunity for social and travel - Find a decent club that does expeditions - UK and EU for more advanced tasks.
      - rent / own / shared methods of owning - few ££££ to £250K

And both have the options to get lost in technology if that's your thing.

M

Comment

My olde jalopy is 16 years old! Had our 10th anniversary last year. She's still beautiful, reliable, and fun to drive.

My Scirocco is 11 years old.

Amateurs!

'99T 20.5 years and counting.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Wiley Fox 2 £65 Amazon refurb.
          My Nokia 2.2 was new.

I had a Wiley Fox last and I liked it mostly, but it was always crashing.

Comment

Originally posted by mjcp View Post
            Amateurs!

'99T 20.5 years and counting.
            * holding post for @Ianto (sp?) *

-- Edit --

AKA @Johnthebike about these parts.

--Edit --
            Last edited by wattaj; 4 June 2020, 10:45.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

My Nokia 2.2 was new.

I had a Wiley Fox last and I liked it mostly, but it was always crashing.

Wasn't sure about it and it came with a years warranty same as new but a third of the price.

Crashed twice in a year which seemed OK for an Android phone. Battery life was pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Wasn't sure about it and it came with a years warranty same as new but a third of the price.

Crashed twice in a year which seemed OK for an Android phone. Battery life was pretty good.
                Doesn't much matter really. If it lasts 9 months, it's a bargain.

Comment

I thought you were a fellow bangernomics follower?
                  Took the word right out of my mouth. Trouble is you can't get a decent banger anymore in the world of 'electrics'. My role model was a mates dad, he bought MOTed Austin Maxis for £70 a pop, never looked under the bonnet, any issues he scrapped em and bought another.

Comment

Doesn't much matter really. If it lasts 9 months, it's a bargain.

precisely.

Comment

My Scirocco is 11 years old.
                      13 year old Audi TT, bought 8 years ago. It's only got 33,000 miles* on the clock, so I expect it's good for another few years.

* although, given how little I use it, it would probably be cheaper to use taxis than what it costs to keep it on the road
                      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                      X