• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spending Block

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Don't think luck comes into it. I was brought up in an area full of factories and industries where generations of men had always worked. People were generally poorly educated but earned enough money to pay the council rent, buy food and go to the local boozer every night. It's all people knew.

Once those industries (steel and motor mostly) closed down there was no work and for that generation not many prospects. The factories closed, waste derelict land was everywhere - as a kid this was great, as we had new places to play

I know you're not really, but if you are interested in the environment I was dragged up try this book. I have so many parallels to this chap's upbringing it's uncanny. He's a couple of years older than me but we went to the same school, played over the same canals, and as all kids in the area at the time we all played over the Marl holes. We also both had dads who liked the beer a bit too much, and liked to be heavy with his fists against his kids!

Bloomin southernor!

My family are from Yorkshire & Brum (I was born down here) my uncles/aunts are up there but most of my cousins are down south for work.
    Their friends elders had the same problem the mines etc. closed and there was nothing up there for them.

Successive governments have failed them terribly.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Bloomin southernor!

My family are from Yorkshire & Brum (I was born down here) my uncles/aunts are up there but most of my cousins are down south for work.
      Their friends elders had the same problem the mines etc. closed and there was nothing up there for them.

Successive governments have failed them terribly.
      I sometimes look back on my upbringing and think, boy did we have it tough .... then I remember there are those much worse off than I ever was. We refer to them as Northerners
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
      X