• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spending Block

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spending Block

My income increased dramatically when I started contracting but I continued to spend the same as before and my saving increased. I have enough money to buy things and would not be in debt
    I struggle to take time off work as it is unpaid time and I compare what I could earn
    I am often happy with things as long as they are still functional and rarely replace things until they stop working
    Example would be a mobile phone, kitchen, bathroom, car etc
    Saving money has become an obsession and it can effect negatively effect an experience as I look for a voucher or bargain or search for the cheapest price
    I have read this might be money dysmorphia
    I wondered if anyone else has experienced this and how they overcome it?

Originally posted by stphnstevey View Post

get a trophy wife!

Alternatively get a life, money is for spending to make people happy.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If you have already tried to do things differently and failed, may be worth going to see a psychologist.

If you haven't even tried, I'd start with baby steps. Like, if you need a pair of shoes and there are 2 you like....buy the more expensive one, just for the sake of it.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        get a trophy wife!

I thought you were a fellow bangernomics follower?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          I thought you were a fellow bangernomics follower?

Shiny cars don't make me happy.Like you with a dirty old transit van!

Now tools & Toys
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

My income increased dramatically when I started contracting but I continued to spend the same as before and my saving increased. I have enough money to buy things and would not be in debt
            I struggle to take time off work as it is unpaid time and I compare what I could earn
            I am often happy with things as long as they are still functional and rarely replace things until they stop working
            Example would be a mobile phone, kitchen, bathroom, car etc
            Saving money has become an obsession and it can effect negatively effect an experience as I look for a voucher or bargain or search for the cheapest price
            I have read this might be money dysmorphia
            Maybe you are right in not buying stuff, or at least as right as people into consumerism.

Where I think you should work on yourself is not taking time off. I aim for 210 to 220 days worked per year (assuming no bench time). I usually manage 210 because I like to take some time off. Set yourself a target like that, and split it into quarters:

Q1 (Jan to Mar): 60 days
            Q2: 55 days
            Q3: 50 days
            Q4: 55 days

If by the end of Q2, you've worked >115 days, take some extra time off over the summer. If by the end of Q3, you've worked >165 days, take a short break in October or some extra time off over Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
              If you have already tried to do things differently and failed, may be worth going to see a psychologist.

If you haven't even tried, I'd start with baby steps. Like, if you need a pair of shoes and there are 2 you like....buy the more expensive one, just for the sake of it.
              Thanks, I have tried, but I do tend to end up back where I started

I have found the only way is to force myself, often in smaller amounts

I am trying to go with the concept that money can be converted into something that brings happiness. Success isn't how much you have in the bank when you die, but how many experiences that made you happy that money had brought you

But living to that mantra is harder than it sounds

Comment

I'm entirely the opposite - seen it, had it, spent it! I just about manage to maintain a war chest (sometimes) as my love of eating out, holidays and travelling up the front of the aircraft aren't cheap hobbies.

That said, I will try to buy well when I make a less frivolous purchase. I will spend more on a good quality dress that will last for years rather than cheap tat from Primark. A good saucepan should last a couple of decades, at least, etc.

I think the suggestion above of trying just to buy small things without overanalysing the cost is a good start. It's a bit difficult at the moment as getting out to buy stuff isn't easy. Offend your sensibilities by buying an overpriced coffee from a hipster who makes sourdough from beard yeast. (Please, don't - the coffee will be horrible!). My point was more to test your boundaries and stop to think about how that makes you and feel and try to pinpoint why.

Some people with your way of thinking start off saving money as a challenge to themselves - the can I save £1 million while only on a £30k salary types. Others have gone through a really tough time financially and it scared them into being super careful. You need to be honest with yourself about why you have taken this route. There's absolutely no shame in saving money - it's a great trait I wish I was better at - but if it's affecting your life and wellbeing then it is a problem.

Comment

Shiny cars don't make me happy.Like you with a dirty old transit van!

Now tools & Toys
                  Do you buy banger regularly? I tend to but a 2 to 4 year old car every 10 years and run it into the ground.

Comment

get a trophy wife!

A top brass would be better value and won't take half your house if you try out a different brass. HTHBIDI

Neither the brass nor the trophy wife will do anything round the house but you don't have to clothe and feed the former either.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X