• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Furlough rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Furlough rant

Hi
    My accountant had stopped taking any calls since end of March and takes forever to reply to any correspondence over email / produce accounts etc.. I wondered why it was taking so long for them to get back on simple queries ..
    I recently got an email stating that their employed are slowly coming out of furlough . I am quite surprised that they are charging for services but not getting back because they don’t have staff ? It’s really frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Have you asked your accountant?

Oh wait...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Have you asked your accountant?

Oh wait...
      I wondered if anybody else is experiencing the same with their accountant firms?

Comment

Originally posted by jarjarbinks View Post
        I wondered if anybody else is experiencing the same with their accountant firms?

Not quite the same, but a friend of mine said Miss Whiplash at the S&M Dungen is closed and she stopped taking calls.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

My accountant never shut up shop - they changed the way they work so for some of their clients there may have been some impact while they rejigged things but it largely all seems to be BAU. They have been issuing weekly guidance emails with updates on service levels and when to expect a call from them if they're managing furlough claims, etc.

I barely talk to my accountant from one year to the next so I personally haven't been impacted. Will see how things are when I submit my year end TB and statements in early August.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Not quite the same, but a friend of mine said Miss Whiplash at the S&M Dungen is closed and she stopped taking calls.

No she isn't talking to you because even she isn't willing to service your perverted requirements. Jello & Marmite
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by jarjarbinks View Post
              Hi
              My accountant had stopped taking any calls since end of March and takes forever to reply to any correspondence over email / produce accounts etc.. I wondered why it was taking so long for them to get back on simple queries ..
              I recently got an email stating that their employed are slowly coming out of furlough . I am quite surprised that they are charging for services but not getting back because they don’t have staff ? It’s really frustrating
              Overall they should have managed their dip in services a bit better with some form of communication yes. You can get away with all sorts if you manage expectations properly. I'd question why they've furloughed their employees though as their work won't have dropped of significantly due to covid. Sounds like a bit of a piss take going on there but we don't really know.

Just one thing to consider is that the charge you pay tends to be a yearly cost spread with monthly payments, not really a month by month charge where you expect exactly the same output for your money in each month. Doesn't justify them furloughing employees when there is work to do be done or crap service but they'll do extra at the year end and other periods.. Not trying to defend them as it doesn't sound like they've handled it well, just pointing out somethign that might help ease your frustration a little.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Overall they should have managed their dip in services a bit better with some form of communication yes. You can get away with all sorts if you manage expectations properly. I'd question why they've furloughed their employees though as their work won't have dropped of significantly due to covid. Sounds like a bit of a piss take going on there but we don't really know.

Just one thing to consider is that the charge you pay tends to be a yearly cost spread with monthly payments, not really a month by month charge where you expect exactly the same output for your money in each month. Doesn't justify them furloughing employees when there is work to do be done or crap service but they'll do extra at the year end and other periods.. Not trying to defend them as it doesn't sound like they've handled it well, just pointing out somethign that might help ease your frustration a little.
                This ^^^, I'd change accountant, in fact I know a good one, DM me for details.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

My accountant has been manic, and shes got all her staff working
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                  X