• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BLM London Protest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I've pasted the key sentence from your post below:

You have this muddled. It would be more accurate to say:

Take a look at this link: Steps In The Federal Criminal Process | USAO | Department of Justice

So we can clearly see that charging is a step a long way before trial.

If we want to udnerstand charging, we can see that this is where the Grand Jury fits in: Charging | USAO | Department of Justice

If we want to understand trial, then we can look at: Trial | USAO | Department of Justice

Can you now see that the examples I provided did NOT go to trial, as per you request below?
    CUK=Contractor UK!

Escaped trial sort suggests they should have been tried so if my definition varies across the pond then my meaning surely doesn't.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      WTFH originally challenged it, you joined in later.

You challenged my use of the dictionary definition Giant and tried to conflate it with gigantism an altogether different word. But we know accuracy is not you & WTFH's strong suit.

I am still waiting for a list of people that "escaped" trial especially anywhere there is any evidence of prejudice.

Possibly my definition of trial differs from the US. Lets take it as any formal, legal and independent review of the evidence with a Jury or a Judge to identify innocence or guilt.
      No WTFH challenged your usage. I didn't join in with his challenge of your usage, as the quotation you provided shows. I challenged your reasoning. I don't have a view on the usage.

Your "definition" of a trial is plain wrong. You are thinking of indictment and charging, not trial. I have given you a list of officers who escaped trial. And even by your definition, a Grand Jury is not identifying innocence or guilt. It is the equivalent of the UK charging process.

Do you believe that bringing a criminal charge in the UK is part of the trial process? Really?

Comment

second country, third sovereign entity.

CHRONOLOGY-Who banned slavery when? - Reuters
        Yes, agreed, but it was Royal Navy that stopped the Atlantic trade triangle
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

No WTFH challenged your usage. I didn't join in with his challenge of your usage, as the quotation you provided shows. I challenged your reasoning. I don't have a view on the usage.

Your "definition" of a trial is plain wrong. You are thinking of indictment and charging, not trial. I have given you a list of officers who escaped trial. And even by your definition, a Grand Jury is not identifying innocence or guilt. It is the equivalent of the UK charging process.

Do you believe that bringing a criminal charge in the UK is part of the trial process? Really?
          The charging is controlled by the CPS in the UK.

I agree the way you present the american system it is different, I always thought it was a "grand jury trial" it appears its only legal proceedings. But I defined it as escaped trial not avoided.

trial - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

The chap has been through the legal process which is different to ours and on an independent review of the evidence by a jury it was found not suspicious enough to be tried. I don't see that as escaped. Do You?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Yes, agreed, but it was Royal Navy that stopped the Atlantic trade triangle

Indeed - With their lives against all comers.

just nice to remember Vermont & Denmark as pioneers.

Comment

The police officer is going to get a trial.

Often police officers escape trial in these circumstances. That is a lot of the issue.
              Will he? You and others on here have already prosecuted and sentenced him in your mind.

Do please list a few of these officers that escaped trial.

Most right minded people would support a peaceful protest to ensure a trial, indeed I suggested as much.
              We have gone way beyond that.
              From your link :

Strange I thought the Grand Jury was a form of prosecution? I think it is slightly equivalent to our CPS yet specifically set up with checks to prosecute civil employees with the advantage the jury members are independent unlike the CPS who have to work with the Police other officials..

6 of your questions about grand juries, answered | MSNBC

It doesn't look like they escaped prosecution more that a specially isolated court found there was not enough evidence to prosecute him. Any more

However the Police changed their training as a result.
              So the Grand Jury is not a legal proceeding in a criminal matter as per definition?

It is part of the prosecution of the crime just that it is a pre-requisite in many states.

What you mean is that because the grand jury decided there wasn't enough evidence there wasn't an actual trial of the accused with possible sentencing.

Still waiting for reasonable examples where the legal process hasn't been followed.
              CUK=Contractor UK!

Escaped trial sort suggests they should have been tried so if my definition varies across the pond then my meaning surely doesn't.
              Give it up.

You've asked for examples of police officers who escaped trial.

Then you said you were waiting for examples of where legal process hasn't been followed.

Then you've tried to apply your own makey-uppy definition of "trial" to a discussion about the US trial process.

I'm gong to get on with some work now and leave you to it.

Comment

I lost

FTFY

Comment

FTFY
                  Just for you then, as I know you love the Cambridge English dictionary. Nothing in there gives a meaning to the word "escape" that you seek to apply.

escape verb (GET FREE)

B1
                  [ I or T ]to get free from something, or to avoid something:

Two prisoners have escaped.
                  A lion has escaped from its cage.
                  She was lucky to escape serious injury.
                  He narrowly (= only just) escaped a fine.
                  His name escapes me (= I have forgotten his name).
                  Nothing important escapes her notice/attention.

Comment

Just for you then, as I know you love the Cambridge English dictionary. Nothing in there gives a meaning to the word "escape" that you seek to apply.

escape verb (GET FREE)

B1
                    [ I or T ]to get free from something, or to avoid something:

Two prisoners have escaped.
                    A lion has escaped from its cage.
                    She was lucky to escape serious injury.
                    He narrowly (= only just) escaped a fine.
                    His name escapes me (= I have forgotten his name).
                    Nothing important escapes her notice/attention.

To get free ?

Comment

Don't you two have any work?

Comment

Working...
                      X