• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BLM London Protest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    He was restrained (probably too aggressively from the pictures) by three Police officers one of which was obviously of African descent while a fourth police officer present was Asian by descent. This resulted in his death.

If the Armed robber, drug user, 5 times prisoner, intoxicated giant George Floyd is entitled to a trial maybe a decorated 20 year veteran Police office is entitled to a trial?
    The police officer is going to get a trial.

Often police officers escape trial in these circumstances. That is a lot of the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Three points here.

Firstly, it is not a fact that 1.25 million Europeans were enslaved. Doubtless hundreds of thousands were, but the research which states "...the figure could easily have been as high as 1,250,000" is itself challenged. This does not equate to "the capture and enslavement of 1.25 million europeans". There's no need to present the highest number you think you can get away with.

Secondly, Africa really can be divided into sub-Saharan and North African. They have very different histories, particularly before the "Scramble of Africa", with North Africa really being part of Mediterranean history (consider North Africa's Phoenician, Roman, Vandal, Byzantine and Ottoman influences). The calls for teaching African history may be more about sub-Saharan history, as North African history is already included in the teaching of the Western ancient and medieval world. But if it is about Africa as a whole, then of course it should be included.

Thirdly, I was taught about this at school, mainly within the context of the Barbary Wars.

Well the Cornish didn't sell each other into slavery like 90% of African slaves so they would have to catch them first, it was a bit harder for the Barbary pirates.

Unlike the European nations there was no documentation so it is all a bit of an estimate. Once you get past a 100,000 and a couple of centuries of it happening you have to concede it is pretty unpleasant and undercuts their argument that it is because of Slavery they have worse outcomes than other ethnic groups.

Of course the Egyptians (North Africa) kept slaves before the Romans arrived and the Romans took about 10- 30% of their 6 million population as slaves.

Barbary slave trade - Wikipedia

whilst the 1.25 million figure may being challenged it was only a partial figure.

Pirate raids for the acquisition of slaves occurred in towns and villages on the African Atlanticseaboard, as well as in Europe. Reports of Barbary raids and kidnappings of those in Italy, Spain, France, Portugal, England, Netherlands, Ireland, Scotland, and as far north as Iceland exist from between the 16th to the 19th centuries. It is estimated that between 1 million and 1.25 million Europeans were captured by pirates and sold as slaves in Tunis, Algiers and Tripoli during this time period. The slave trade in Europeans in other parts of the Mediterranean is not included in this estimation.[15]
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The police officer is going to get a trial.

Often police officers escape trial in these circumstances. That is a lot of the issue.
        Will he? You and others on here have already prosecuted and sentenced him in your mind.

Do please list a few of these officers that escaped trial.

Most right minded people would support a peaceful protest to ensure a trial, indeed I suggested as much.
        We have gone way beyond that.

Comment

I think there's a few people on here need to sit down and have a cup of Yorkshire Tea.

Oh, no, sorry, how about PG Tips?

Nope.

Well, maybe there's some tea brand out there who think that black lives don't matter.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Will he? You and others on here have already prosecuted and sentenced him in your mind.

Do please list a few of these officers that escaped trial.

Most right minded people would support a peaceful protest to ensure a trial, indeed I suggested as much.
            We have gone way beyond that.
            People are entitled to hold opinions. It happens all the time. THese do not constitute a "prosecution and sentence in the mind". He's still getting a prosecution and fair trial , no matter what people think.

You started a thread here:

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/general/138615-oh-great-nutters-back.html

It reads as if you have "already prosecuted and sentenced him in your mind". Tut tut tut.

You'll find some officers who have escaped prosecution from this incident, plenty more if you care to research them:

Death of Eric Garner - Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              I think there's a few people on here need to sit down and have a cup of Yorkshire Tea.

Nope.

Well, maybe there's some tea brand out there who think that black lives don't matter.
              The alt-right virtue signalling snowflakes will find a tea brand that they can feel proud of.

Comment

Nope.

I drink coffee.

But posturing by a couple of tea companies is a little sad.

The key issues here are

1. Excessive force was used against a large intoxicated suspect with a record for violence. This is apparently racist based on the colour of the most senior police officer and the suspect. The fact 2 of the officers involved would count as BAME seems to be ignored. There seems to be no other proof.

2. A man who has been proven by the ME to be intoxicated, with underlying illness and was roughly 1.5 times the size of the officers resisted the Police at least once.

3. This has been used to spark riots about the world and the victims reputation has been gilded ala Mark Duggan. Wild unsubstantiated accusations have been thrown about UK police brutality.

4. The police officers have been tried and convicted by public opinion.

5. Various celebrities have suggested the supporters should choose investment or side based purely on skin colour.

6. Anyone who questions the Mob opinion is shouted down.

Comment

I drink coffee.

But posturing by a couple of tea companies is a little sad.

The key issues here are

1. Excessive force was used against a large intoxicated suspect with a record for violence. This is apparently racist based on the colour of the most senior police officer and the suspect. The fact 2 of the officers involved would count as BAME seems to be ignored. There seems to be no other proof.

2. A man who has been proven by the ME to be intoxicated, with underlying illness and was roughly 1.5 times the size of the officers resisted the Police at least once.

3. This has been used to spark riots about the world and the victims reputation has been gilded ala Mark Duggan. Wild unsubstantiated accusations have been thrown about UK police brutality.

4. The police officers have been tried and convicted by public opinion.

5. Various celebrities have suggested the supporters should choose investment or side based purely on skin colour.

6. Anyone who questions the Mob opinion is shouted down.
                  Do you feel shouted down?

Comment

Nope.

Personally I prefer this; and being fair trade it actually GAF about BAME workers.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Do you feel shouted down?

No! I shout back.

Comment

Working...
                      X