• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BLM London Protest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You are a complete arse. But he is correct.

Whorty- check your rep again. The rep given 16:26, 7th Jun 2020 was not from from Complete Mor On. I've edited it to make it clear that I do know.

Desecrating monuments (the badly scrawled BLM) is unacceptable and it should cause outrage. I think it would be beholden of those who support BLM to say, regarding this - "Not In My Name".
    Thank you NAT - I can see how much it pained you having to do that, just remember - tomorrow will be a brand new day.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Who was it NAT?
      I can't tell you that without a bribe.

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      Thank you NAT - I can see how much it pained you having to do that, just remember - tomorrow will be a brand new day.
      Brand new day. Reminds me of a song from this comic opera.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Why don't these idiots understand that this sort of thing just raises prejudice?
        The real sadness here, is that is exactly what his brother called for.

Educate yourselves, vote for everything, get into power politically. That's the only way to win.

Comment

I did notice that there does not appear to be any video of initial contact and arrest. So we will get the story come the court case(s).

Secondly if I were a US Cop approaching a known armed robber I would be very circumspect about how I went about arresting them.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
            I did notice that there does not appear to be any video of initial contact and arrest. So we will get the story come the court case(s).

Secondly if I were a US Cop approaching a known armed robber I would be very circumspect about how I went about arresting them.

There is of him exiting his car and then pushing out of the police car.

Not just a large armed robber but a man with 5 prison sentences. Who was intoxicated (ME's words) with Opiates & Meth.

Here is a the only vertical picture of him I have seen upright next to the Police, he is a very big strong guy.

8 Minutes and 46 Seconds: How George Floyd Was Killed in Police Custody [Video] - The New York Times

There is also an interview with the Arab/American store owner.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/02/86757...=1591617321911

This comment is telling.

NASHASHIBI: When you call the police and you're interfacing with black men, yeah, the chances of violence and even death being as strong as they are would lead us to strongly encourage folks to think twice about ever calling the police in those sets of circumstances.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

An African-American ex-policeman put it very well over the weekend. He asked this one question of his fellow African-Americans - "If Black Lives Matter so much to you all, why is it that of the thousands of black people murdered in our country last year, 96% were murdered by fellow black folk?"

The sentiments are correct. Of course all lives matter, we're just addressing this particular issue at the moment though, so let's not expand it. We don't need to see pictures of Lee Rigby all over Facebook. Similarly, these protests should have waited until the outcome of the George Floyd case. If it wasn't dealt with correctly both at a perpetrator and institutional level, then protest. Trump has reacted and put more policies in place to help the situation than Obama ever did, despite claiming it was his intention to do so.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                There is of him exiting his car and then pushing out of the police car.

Not just a large armed robber but a man with 5 prison sentences. Who was intoxicated (ME's words) with Opiates & Meth.

Here is a the only vertical picture of him I have seen upright next to the Police, he is a very big strong guy.

8 Minutes and 46 Seconds: How George Floyd Was Killed in Police Custody [Video] - The New York Times

There is also an interview with the Arab/American store owner.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/02/86757...=1591617321911

This comment is telling.
                Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                An African-American ex-policeman put it very well over the weekend. He asked this one question of his fellow African-Americans - "If Black Lives Matter so much to you all, why is it that of the thousands of black people murdered in our country last year, 96% were murdered by fellow black folk?"

The sentiments are correct. Of course all lives matter, we're just addressing this particular issue at the moment though, so let's not expand it. We don't need to see pictures of Lee Rigby all over Facebook. Similarly, these protests should have waited until the outcome of the George Floyd case. If it wasn't dealt with correctly both at a perpetrator and institutional level, then protest. Trump has reacted and put more policies in place to help the situation than Obama ever did, despite claiming it was his intention to do so.
                The problem with the 'all lives matter' and quoting black on black murder statistics misses the point of why the protests are happening and is part of the problem.

George Floyd did not deserve to die and was entitled to a fair trial and this is not an isolated incident. I believe that there is inherent and systemic racism in Western society - especially in America and it needs to be addressed.

Yes there are issues with black-on-black killings and gang culture and crime - why do you think this is? Is that how they were when they were kidnapped and shipped over into slavery or did they become like that over generations of being forced into slavery, poverty and being denied opportunities?

We've done this - we're responsible and that statue coming down in Bristol is a step in the right direction when it comes to targeting the root cause.

And yes there are lots of people exploiting these protests from organised criminals (like the ones we had in 2011), antifa, virtue signalling corporations/celebrities/influencers - and you can bet political campaigns on both sides leading up to the US election.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that these protests are for a specific race that have deep rooted societal disadvantages that we have given them. Obviously all lives do matter but that doesn't negate the validity of the BLM movement.

/virtue_signal_off
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

The problem with the 'all lives matter' and quoting black on black murder statistics misses the point of why the protests are happening and is part of the problem.

George Floyd did not deserve to die and was entitled to a fair trial and this is not an isolated incident. I believe that there is inherent and systemic racism in Western society - especially in America and it needs to be addressed.

Yes there are issues with black-on-black killings and gang culture and crime - why do you think this is? Is that how they were when they were kidnapped and shipped over into slavery or did they become like that over generations of being forced into slavery, poverty and being denied opportunities?

We've done this - we're responsible and that statue coming down in Bristol is a step in the right direction when it comes to targeting the root cause.

And yes there are lots of people exploiting these protests from organised criminals (like the ones we had in 2011), antifa, virtue signalling corporations/celebrities/influencers - and you can bet political campaigns on both sides leading up to the US election.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that these protests are for a specific race that have deep rooted societal disadvantages that we have given them. Obviously all lives do matter but that doesn't negate the validity of the BLM movement.

/virtue_signal_off
                  Can you point out a successful african country ( economically successful), maybe there are some lessons that could be learned from them?

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                    Can you point out a successful african country ( economically successful), maybe there are some lessons that could be learned from them?
                    I believe Botswana is a rare example of a mineral rich country where the wealth has been distributed among its population such that they have what can be deemed a good standard of living.

That was certainly the case 10-15 years ago, not sure about the current situation. Wouldn't be surprised of China hasn't looted the place by now.

Comment

/virtue_signal_off

So what about the Asians that were mostly at the bottom of society until very recently who were treated no better than the Blacks? Are they integrating in society?

History of Asian Americans - Wikipedia
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X