• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slightly technical post on Git

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I really don't know many people who arent white, perhaps a couple. I just can't imagine anyone being offended by whitelist or blacklist. Terms not even relevant to race.

It's almost like you would have to go out of your way to be offended.
    I'm offended that you're NOT offended. Maybe it's time to take a good hard look at yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I'm offended that you're NOT offended. Maybe it's time to take a good hard look at yourself.
      I'm a grumpy, middle aged white man. I will retire before this country turns into Instagram central, governed by the witless with 30 second attention spans.

I will never rename my master branches, unless I'm specifically told to do so and the rate is decent.

Comment

I am amazed that nobody speaks about equal rights of the users. Why some people are "admins" and some are not?

Comment

How to remember this...

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I've never seen Grey or White as a multiplier.

I've led a sheltered life, plainly.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Similar to the move towards replacing whitelist and blacklist with allowed and denied lists.
              That one at least makes a little sense... has anyone ever actually complained they feel "master" as a technical term is derogatory to them?

"Master" and "slave" both have many technical uses where they are apt terms - just as do "male" and "female". I don't have a problem with people looking at individual terms on their own merits because langauge DOES influence behaviour and there are surely some terms that are not really great, but a wholeale s****horpe approach is a kneejerk reaction that achieves little.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
                From Why I’m Dropping the Term “Scrum Master” – The Radical Agilist

i) Some potential upheaval for the 'Agile' lads/lasses .. 'Scrum Master' -> 'Facilitator'
                "Thus it matters that the word “master” has a horrible history for African-Americans."
                "I am going back to the term “Facilitator” for the role I’ve been calling Scrum Master."

ii) Also for estate agents:
                “master bedroom” -> “owner suite”
                "Scrum master" is a term that should be deleted, but only because it's stupid.

So does this mean the butler shouldn't refer to your children as "young master" either?!
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You'd have thought that the only slaves in history were those Africans transported to the US.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I really don't understand this, the use of the term master isn't inherently racist. There are no slaves in git, just other branches with the master one being the master copy (You don't even have to use the name master if you don't like idea of using it).

Does this mean that the following are now frowned upon and need to be changed?

• Jedi Master.
                    • Master Craftsman.
                    • Mastery (of a subject).
                    • The use of master as a prefix title to denote a boy who is not yet old enough to be mister.
                    • Ban house masters from boarding schools
                    • Various degree honourifics (Master of Philosophy, etc)

Is the next thing to go the ability to be the Owner of a git repo (people owned slaves at one point right, therefore the word Owner should no longer be used).

Rather than getting our knickers in a test over a word that has many meanings, most of which have nothing to do with slavery, how about we actually fix the root problem. Stop letting white cops kill black people!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      You'd have thought that the only slaves in history were those Africans transported to the US.
                      Or if you're feeling charitable that they are the only ones that matter.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X