• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slightly technical post on Git

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expect most words have some unsavoury connotations if we dig deep enough. I suggest we abolish them all and just have one word. I suggest Kipabollaflogal.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Expect most words have some unsavoury connotations if we dig deep enough. I suggest we abolish them all and just have one word. I suggest Kipabollaflogal.
      Sexist!!!
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This is going to be one of those things where anyone arguing against this or even taking a neutral, don’t really care view is going to be ostracised isn’t it? Or worse still, accused of racism. No doubt we will probably end up on some kind of woke employer blacklist too.

Completely agree with @antirez says.

Comment

If you think this is ridiculous and unnecessary, you should have seen the tulip the poor bloke who maintains the Ruby linter tool “rubocop” a few weeks ago. People were bullying him into changing it because if the association with the police.

The RuboCop Name Drama Redux | Meta Redux

Comment

accused of racism.

I never got a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              GitHub abandons 'master' and 'slave' terms to avoid row - BBC News

"The master-slave relationship in technology usually refers to a system where one - the master - controls other copies, or processes."

Someone, somewhere. make this tulip stop.
              It's not going to stop. These people want power over other people that they have not earned, have not been granted and neither deserve; it's a coup and our governments/civil servants want this to happen so that they too can exert this power indiscriminately.

Kryptonite: "I don't care what you think".

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                I really don't understand this, the use of the term master isn't inherently racist.
                It is in the US where they only people* who were masters were slave owners.

*Except those who were called master and weren't slave owners, but they don't count.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  It is in the US where they only people* who were masters were slave owners.

*Except those who were called master and weren't slave owners, but they don't count.
                  So clearly it's also racist to let anybody be an owner of a repo now then. Anybody who owns a repo needs to take a long hard look at their life and realise just how big of a racist piece of tulip they are! All code repos must no longer have ownership. Everybody must be able to make any changes as they see fit, it's for the good of the people!

Comment

Now VMWare are on the bandwagon

VMware to stop describing hardware as ‘male’ and ‘female’ in new terminology guide • The Register

A message about the IT giant's “Offensive Terminology Effort,” sighted by The Register, recommends that when referring to hardware and cabling, “female” should be replaced by “jack” or “socket” while “plug” should be used instead of “male”. The company hopes that “she” and “he” will be replaced by “they”

Comment

VMWare must have hired a diversity/gender consultant who is now busily trying to justify their salary.

Comment

Working...
                      X