• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill - antisemitic racist or war hero?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    And a chauvinist, and probably a kiddie fiddler and peeping tom.
    Triggered much?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Plenty evidence of Churchill's quote that would be 100% considered racist today. He's clearly a hero to the right who are blinkered and won't see anything negative said about him, which probably says more about them than it does Churchill.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Plenty evidence of Churchill's quote that would be 100% considered racist today. He's clearly a hero to the right who are blinkered and won't see anything negative said about him, which probably says more about them than it does Churchill.
        Churchill's greatness is hard to deny, despite his flaws.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Yeah, protesters in Eastern Europe were very grateful to Stalin, for about 50 years
          Stalin or Hitler - your choice?

Don't forget those from Eastern Europe weren't considered properly human by Hitler.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Churchill was many things, some good some bad, but racist wasn't one of them. He was a major supporter of the Jewish community both in business and government....
            Jewish isn't a race. It's a religion.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Stalin or Hitler - your choice?

Don't forget those from Eastern Europe weren't considered properly human by Hitler.
              They were both terrible, but cumulative damage from the Soviet regime (especially under Stalin) is far higher, does not mean Nazies would not have topped it if they could have held up for 70 years, just both are very evil - and one still exists...

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                Look up ethnicity. Consider that some Jewish people do not follow the Jewish religion. Accept that the subject is rather more nuanced than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  I mean the dead one not ours.

It seems people are coming to the realisation that people are not black or white, good men can do bad things, and its very difficult to paint a person as one or the other
                  I'm guessing that if he was an anti-semitic racist, he'd have put a little less effort into defeating the ultimate anti-semitic racist, and instead laid out a very large red carpet. It's far from conclusive, as evidence goes, but Churchill was going against the grain at the time. Maybe it's time for our German friends to wheel out some Daily Mail headlines of the era?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

AFAIK, NorthWestPermaTractor and I are the only Semites (of differing cultures, though) that I know on CUK.

F**ked if I think that Winston Churchill (Not "Churchie", or his latest incarnation!) was an anti-semite...

DILLIGAF.
                    Last edited by Scruff; 9 June 2020, 20:54. Reason: tulip grammar
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                      I was keeping it simple for the hard of thinking.

If I started talking about ethnicity or religious affiliation or long historical belief systems yo would only get confused.

And Judaism is a religion, Jewish is a description of people who had a Jewish mother.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X