• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill - antisemitic racist or war hero?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Churchill - antisemitic racist or war hero?

I mean the dead one not ours.

It seems people are coming to the realisation that people are not black or white, good men can do bad things, and its very difficult to paint a person as one or the other
    Last edited by SimonMac; 9 June 2020, 13:07.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I mean the dead one not ours
    A man of his time who finally found something he was good at ( apart from writing ) courtesy of WW2.

Comment

Both. He did questionable things that raised an eyebrow even in those times, and also did some great things.

People are never binary good or bad. They are a blend of good intentions, bias, misguided aspirations, and self interest. This is not an exhaustive list.

Slave owners often used their profits to philanthropic ends. The slaves had a crap life but the poor back home had a slightly less bad time of it. Good intentions paid for by questionable means. You could argue they were buying a veneer of respectability (the Sacklers of today), or that it wasn't 'really' slavery in such nasty terms (hmmm) but the good deeds done justified the methods.

Comment

There are also things that are good or bad from a certain point of view.

A lapdancer to a feminist is being abused and sexualised by men.
        A lapdancer to the lapdancer is paying for a lifestyle that would be beyond her means if she were to do any other job available to her. She's comfortable with her body and a bit of an exhibitionist.

Dictators to their followers are inspirational leaders.
        To their opponents, they're the epitome of evil.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

White privileged racist, who will soon be at the bottom of the Thames.

Comment

He was also a drunk.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              He was also a drunk.
              And a chauvinist, and probably a kiddie fiddler and peeping tom.

Comment

Churchill was many things, some good some bad, but racist wasn't one of them. He was a major supporter of the Jewish community both in business and government, for example back into Edwardian times. And lest we forget, ( ) WW2 was about stopping a country intent on racial cleansing and white supremacy.

Also, has anyone noticed that recorded incidents of deaths in police custody (about 1700 since 1990 apparently - although I rather hope most of those are not down to the police themselves...) split between white and BAME follow almost exactly the same ratio as those numbers in the general population...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Probably a tax dodger and secret Nazi sympathiser too.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    I mean the dead one not ours.

It seems people are coming to the realisation that people are not black or white, good men can do bad things, and its very difficult to paint a person as one or the other
                    He was probably no more antisemitic than men of his class and era.

Comment

Working...
                    X