• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gladstone Hall to be Renamed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently Gladstone’s father; yes that’s correct his father, had slave holdings...
    Same with Robert Peel, a man who introduced some great reforms, including on criminal justice, workers safety and workers' rights. They are mixing him up with his father, also Robert Peel, who opposed abolishing the slave trade.

Five Sir Robert Peel statues listed on 'Topple the Racists' map - but have campaigners got the right man? - Manchester Evening News

These morons are not helping to reduce racism, they are increasing it. I expect there will be a big spike in real far right actions and racist abuse in the next few months.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Same with Robert Peel, a man who introduced some great reforms, including on criminal justice, workers safety and workers' rights. They are mixing him up with his father, also Robert Peel, who opposed abolishing the slave trade.

Five Sir Robert Peel statues listed on 'Topple the Racists' map - but have campaigners got the right man? - Manchester Evening News

These morons are not helping to reduce racism, they are increasing it. I expect there will be a big spike in real far right actions and racist abuse in the next few months.
      Placating the racists hasn't brought about change.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        The University of Liverpool could at least have the decency to include a trigger warning. Hopefully the Nightingale Hospitals can be stood up to deal with the apoplexy surge.
        At the time they were building them I wondered how long it would be before someone demanded they were called 'Seacole Hospitals'.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          At the time they were building them I wondered how long it would be before someone demanded they were called 'Seacole Hospitals'.
          And how long did it turn out to be?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

He founded the first modern police force (the Met). That pretty much puts him in the same bracket as a slave trader, doesn't it?
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              And how long did it turn out to be?
              At about 09:52 this morning, if that's what your post was inferring...

Comment

He founded the first modern police force (the Met). That pretty much puts him in the same bracket as a slave trader, doesn't it?
                He invented the 50??? Pull him down!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

My great great great grandfather's brother has a statue up in London. Hope he doesn't get the topple!

Comment

At about 09:52 this morning, if that's what your post was inferring...
                    Surely it's what you are (incorrectly) inferring.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      He invented the 50??? Pull him down!
                      That would be Five-O not 50 surely.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 10 June 2020, 13:18.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X