• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gone with the Wind - is gone!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've lost count of how many times I watched that on BBC2 as a boy. Seemed to be on almost every holiday.

Fantastic movie but I thought it dealt with slavery and the complexity of the period quite deftly. I can't see how anyone could be offended - bored stiff maybe.

Comment

My Fair Lady is classist and sexist. Lets get that removed.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        My Fair Lady is classist and sexist. Lets get that removed.
        Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          “ HBO Max has pulled "Gone with the Wind" from its library of films.

The removal of the film comes as mass protests sweep across the United States following the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man who was killed while in police custody.
          The 1939 film, which tells the love story of Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler during the American Civil War, is considered by many to be a cinematic classic and is one of the most popular films ever made. However, the movie is also incredibly controversial. The film's portrayal of slavery, African Americans and the Civil War South has been received much more critically in the decades since its release.”

'Gone with the Wind' pulled from HBO Max until it can return with 'historical context' - CNN
          If I had HBO Max* I would be furious. GWTW is the best cure for insomnia I know of. Perfect for an afternoon kip, I don't think I've ever seen more than the first half-hour.

*No, I've never heard of it either. File under 'Really not news'.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
            Why can't you be more like a man?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              Why can't you be more like a man?
              I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over.

Comment

Does the BBC still have Pot Black in its archives?

Comment

Looks I'm stuck watching 'It ain't half hot mum' for the rest of the week then. Good wholsome family fun....
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Interesting to see an article in the Gaurdian four years ago about this. Also interesting reading some of the comments as they were then. I wonder if some of those that posted have changed their view since or now the world is going rattulip.

Is Gone With the Wind's nostalgia for slavery acceptable? | Fiction | The Guardian
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Looks I'm stuck watching 'It ain't half hot mum' for the rest of the week then. Good wholsome family fun....
                      You could always try "Mind your language". Not aged badly at all, mostly because it was crap first time around.

England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                      X