Gone with the Wind - is gone! Gone with the Wind - is gone!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 29

My post count is Majestic

AtW is always on top

Default Gone with the Wind - is gone!

“ HBO Max has pulled "Gone with the Wind" from its library of films.

The removal of the film comes as mass protests sweep across the United States following the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man who was killed while in police custody.
    The 1939 film, which tells the love story of Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler during the American Civil War, is considered by many to be a cinematic classic and is one of the most popular films ever made. However, the movie is also incredibly controversial. The film's portrayal of slavery, African Americans and the Civil War South has been received much more critically in the decades since its release.”

'Gone with the Wind' pulled from HBO Max until it can return with 'historical context' - CNN

I live on CUK

Old Greg is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    “ HBO Max has pulled "Gone with the Wind" from its library of films.

The removal of the film comes as mass protests sweep across the United States following the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man who was killed while in police custody.
    The 1939 film, which tells the love story of Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler during the American Civil War, is considered by many to be a cinematic classic and is one of the most popular films ever made. However, the movie is also incredibly controversial. The film's portrayal of slavery, African Americans and the Civil War South has been received much more critically in the decades since its release.”

'Gone with the Wind' pulled from HBO Max until it can return with 'historical context' - CNN
    The alt-right politically correct brigade are going to go ape-tulip at a private company exercising its commercial freedoms over its intellectual property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Super poster

TheCyclingProgrammer is NOT a disguised employee

This is clickbait. It has been removed *temporarily*.

In a statement, HBO Max said it would be "irresponsible" to keep the film on its platform without "an explanation and a denouncement" of its "racist depictions".
    It said the film itself would return "as it was originally created", saying "to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed".
    Gone with the Wind removed from HBO Max - BBC News

It's right that the depictions of racism and prejudice in older films and TV shows should be called out rather than these things being removed outright. IMO HBO are taking a very balanced approach compared to say, the removal of Little Britain and Come Fly With Me the other day.

With things like this there will always be a balance between the cultural value of such things and the desire to avoid offending people. Platforms are free to make that judgment for themselves and people are free to not pay for their services if they don't like it.

I think platforms should go one step further and deliberately collate such cultural artefacts - films and TV shows that are/were held in high regard and still have cultural merit but also contain racism and prejudices that reflect the time they were made and use them as a starting point for discussion. People should be able to watch these things with a critical eye.

TLDR; more people should watch Blazing Saddles.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 10th June 2020 at 09:23.

I live on CUK

Quote Originally Posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    This is clickbait. It has been removed *temporarily*.

Gone with the Wind removed from HBO Max - BBC News

It's right that the depictions of racism and prejudice in older films and TV shows should be called out rather than these things being removed outright. IMO HBO are taking a very balanced approach compared to say, the removal of Little Britain and Come Fly With Me the other day.

With things like this there will always be a balance between the cultural value of such things and the desire to avoid offending people. Platforms are free to make that judgment for themselves and people are free to not pay for their services if they don't like it.

I think platforms should go one step further and deliberately collate such cultural artefacts - films and TV shows that are/were held in high regard and still have cultural merit but also contain racism and prejudices that reflect the time they were made and use them as a starting point for discussion. People should be able to watch these things with a critical eye.

Stop being so reasonable. All these events are annoying all the right people, so that should be enough for a Wednesday morning.
    25 June 2018

Godlike

Zigenare is a fount of knowledge

What next, "Blazing Saddles"?
    (In my defence I didn't see TCP's edit)
    Last edited by Zigenare; 10th June 2020 at 09:46.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

My post count is Majestic

AtW is always on top

Brass Eye

Double Godlike!

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

Actress and radio performer Hattie McDaniel became the first African American to win an Oscar in 1940, for her supporting role as Mammy in 'Gone With the Wind

Hattie McDaniel - Death, Oscar, Gone with the Wind - Biography.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Watched it as a kid. Didn't realise how filthy it is until I watched it as an adult.

The Producers is also brilliant.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Double Godlike!

LondonManc is a fount of knowledge

These things should be preserved and left available. They should then be used in classrooms and lecture halls to show how attitudes to racism have changed over time. We shouldn't erase the past. It has happened and should be there for everyone to learn from.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

I live on CUK

Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    These things should be preserved and left available. They should then be used in classrooms and lecture halls to show how attitudes to racism have changed over time. We shouldn't erase the past. It has happened and should be there for everyone to learn from.
    Sounds like that is HBO's plan.
    25 June 2018