• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just a thought

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought

BBC - Who Do You Think You Are? - Past Stories - Ainsley Harriott

Given a large section of those of African descent in the UK are from the Carribean, I wonder how many have the same ancestry as Ainsley. Given his ancestors fought for Britain against Africans and were actual slave owners. History is not as black and white as some in the BLM are portraying.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

You're right. Some African tribes were actively complicit in slavery too:

African chiefs urged to apologise for slave trade | World news | The Guardian

A lot of attitudes are just an inverted racism, everything is the white man's fault, everyone else is a perfect human being. I find it irritating when the Guardian and Independent blame our authorities for not doing enough to tackle forced marriage or FGM. It is reasonable to ask what people who engage in those practices are doing here. Why is it so racist just to require that migrants understand and will comply with our laws and core principles?

Might help to reduce racism if we just accepted that we are all human beings with the same flaws, if both sides took a more detached view based on facts and realities.

PS How ya doin' Gibby?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      You're right. Some African tribes were actively complicit in slavery too:

African chiefs urged to apologise for slave trade | World news | The Guardian

A lot of attitudes are just an inverted racism, everything is the white man's fault, everyone else is a perfect human being. I find it irritating when the Guardian and Independent blame our authorities for not doing enough to tackle forced marriage or FGM. It is reasonable to ask what people who engage in those practices are doing here. Why is it so racist just to require that migrants understand and will comply with our laws and core principles?

Might help to reduce racism if we just accepted that we are all human beings with the same flaws, if both sides took a more detached view based on facts and realities.

PS How ya doin' Gibby?
      You have a real victim complex. I've never heard about anyone saying that everything is the white man's fault and everyone else is a perfect human being.

And if the the Guardian and Independent were not blaming the authorities for not doing enough to tackle forced marriage or FGM, you would no doubt be berating them for their political correctness and not wanting to offend ethnics.

Comment

Working...
      X