• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Racists' Anger Matters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    So which statues do you think the racist right wing mobs would like to pull down?
    Hard to tell really, lots of statues are black/bronze and I doubt they can read. So it's probably pot luck with that lot.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Hard to tell really, lots of statues are black/bronze and I doubt they can read. So it's probably pot luck with that lot.
      They all look the same to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The Nelson Mandela statue?
        I know a couple of South Africans that would consider him a terrorist.

Personally, I think he managed to change an entire country, that's something to celebrate.

Comment

I know a couple of South Africans that would consider him a terrorist.

Personally, I think he managed to change an entire country, that's something to celebrate.
          When I lived in SA I came across a number of Afrikaners with strong views. Some very nasty people who would make Tommy Robinson appear as a moderate. Specifically up north, it feels at times like Apartheid is not completely gone.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

When I lived in SA I came across a number of Afrikaners with strong views. Some very nasty people who would make Tommy Robinson appear as a moderate. Specifically up north, it feels at times like Apartheid is not completely gone.
            These guys are not nasty tbf and just pointed out some historical facts about Africa, including Mandela, Boer war that i didn't know about at the time.

Comment

These guys are not nasty tbf and just pointed out some historical facts about Africa, including Mandela, Boer war that i didn't know about at the time.
              This will be 'their' facts. what they are taught in the white schools, and not necessarily full facts. I spent a lot of time with some of these guys in SA, and what they spout, based on what they are taught in school, is frightening.

I had to take one guy out on a game drive, so spent some 'quality' time with him that day. Unfortunately I wasn't in a position to kick him out the Land Rover so had to listen to his carp. He truly believed that the white man is superior, and black men are a separate inferior species. No kidding! He had some pretty meaty thoughts on gays too, that he liked to quote from the Bible (Aftikaners tend to be extremely religious).

He was a pro golfer and said he'd love to move to the UK to work ... I put him off but reminding him that we are quite a relaxed country and it's not uncommon to see men walking down roads in London hand in hand, and certainly mixed race families is common. I thought he was going to explode He couldn't comprehend the thought of mixed race couples!

Thankfully the UK is far more progressive than many countries in the world, but the negative reaction to BLM shows we still have a way to go before racism is completely eradicated.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

This will be 'their' facts. what they are taught in the white schools, and not necessarily full facts. I spent a lot of time with some of these guys in SA, and what they spout, based on what they are taught in school, is frightening.

I had to take one guy out on a game drive, so spent some 'quality' time with him that day. Unfortunately I wasn't in a position to kick him out the Land Rover so had to listen to his carp. He truly believed that the white man is superior, and black men are a separate inferior species. No kidding! He had some pretty meaty thoughts on gays too, that he liked to quote from the Bible (Aftikaners tend to be extremely religious).

He was a pro golfer and said he'd love to move to the UK to work ... I put him off but reminding him that we are quite a relaxed country and it's not uncommon to see men walking down roads in London hand in hand, and certainly mixed race families is common. I thought he was going to explode He couldn't comprehend the thought of mixed race couples!

Thankfully the UK is far more progressive than many countries in the world, but the negative reaction to BLM shows we still have a way to go before racism is completely eradicated.
                Mind you, my sister used to live in Kent, and used to visit a dying neighbour (young-ish guy) in hospital in London when she was in town. None of his family would visit because of the blacks in London.

Comment

And in Kigali they have a genocide museum with no holds bared reflecting on what happened there and why we shouldn't forget it. I've visited Kigali and the genocide sites - harrowing!

And, one key point about the trigger for this, was how the white colonial power created the divisions in Rwanda. Nose shape! So even for this genocide the white colonials were not innocent.
                  I was merely pointing out racism is not a white prerogative and it fully exists within BAME communities. But its quite ironic how you and OG go on about 'gammons' being triggered and then those poor Africans were so triggered (your words) that they slaughtered nearly a million people.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Feel like I need to defend these guys, both are decent blokes. Did not spout racist crap.

The most racist thing I've heard was when I dropped off an Indian colleague at the train station. He did not like Pakistanis.

Comment

I spent a week working over there a decade ago and its a complete shift, the whites and blacks are quite separate in many places and there is an undercurrent of awkwardness. I didn't hear any unpleasant views but I was working for a big American firm whose HR were big on equality (quite rightly). There was a mix of employees, I saw a lot more racism in Dubai.

I think the reaction to the riots and vandalism has been fairly restrained.

I don't think people have been against the BLM peaceful protests except the stupidity of breaking lock down.

You do know the protest is being used by bad people as well to meet their aims so we should watch that. Nothing is totally good or bad in my experience.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X