• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling a pub a pub

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling a pub a pub

deep joy now they want to rename the pubs!

Anti-racism campaigners call for 'The 'Black Boy' pubs across Britain to be renamed | Daily Mail Online

Anti-racism campaigners call for 'The 'Black Boy' pubs across Britain to be renamed

• There are at least 25 pubs called 'The Black Boy' or similar in England and Wales
    • A Twitter row has erupted over one pub named The Black Boy in Manchester
    • Other Twitter users have pointed out other examples of similarly named pubs
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

The way things go now those pubs will probably never open anyway

Comment

Rename it after a campaigner, call it "The Triggered Chunt". Job done, next please.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

But obviously you support their freedom of expression to want things.

There are much more pressing reasons not to go down the Black Boy in South Tottenham (amusingly at the end of Wightman Road).

Comment

I think it's sexist too.

Comment

There's a place near my sister call Blackboys. Has nothing to with black people but the black soot generated due to charcoal of burning centuries ago. Not certain but many other pubs, apart from those ones with the black boy signs, may be so named for other reasons not associated with race.

Why is Black Boy a historical pub name?
            The Black Boy is a common name for pubs and inns in the UK. It's claimed this name refers to child chimneysweeps and coal miners, or refers to a genuine description of King Charles II.
            Decision to rename 'The Black Boy' pub because it wasn't 'politically correct' SCRAPPED after storm of protests - Mirror Online

Idiots digging racism out of nothing as usual.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 10 June 2020, 16:06.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Nothing wrong with child chimney sweeps

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                But obviously you support their freedom of expression to want things.

There are much more pressing reasons not to go down the Black Boy in South Tottenham (amusingly at the end of Wightman Road).
                I support their freedom to be ignorant, just don't make me suffer their stupidity.

I don't want to hear what NLyUK did to you round the back, in the car park.

Comment

I did hear that Black Boy was a nickname for Charles II. Don't know whether it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I did hear that Black Boy was a nickname for Charles II. Don't know whether it's true.
                    That is the general consensus and the pubs were named to show royalist support.

Charles II.

Charles' appearance was anything but English, with his sensuous curling mouth, dark complexion, black hair and dark brown eyes, he much resembled his Italian maternal grandmother, Marie de Medici's side of the family. During his escape after the Battle of Worcester, he was referred to as 'a tall, black man' in parliamentary wanted posters. One of the nick-names he acquired was the black boy His height, at six feet two inches, probably inherited from his Danish paternal grandmother, Anne of Denmark, also set him apart from his contemporaries in a time when the average Englishman was far smaller than today.
                    Though other people think its a plot to disguise the real rulers.

Moorish Kings of Europe: King Charles Stuart II – The Black Boy King of England 1630 – 1685 – by – Oguejiofo Annu | Rasta Livewire

He is commemorated in the celebrated name of the Black Boy Inn, found all over the British Isle.
                    Like his ancestors before him, King Charles II was a black man. Many of his surviving paintings falsely depict him as a so-called white man in clear contradiction to the famous description of the jolly King.

Comment

Working...
                    X