• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lady-A

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lady-A

Lady Antebellum: US band change name to Lady A over slave-era links - BBC News

Chart-topping US pop group Lady Antebellum have changed their name to Lady A because Antebellum has connotations with the slavery era. The Nashville trio have won five Grammys and had seven US top 10 albums, including three number ones. The word antebellum is used to refer to the period and architecture in the US South before the Civil War. They say they took the name from the architectural style, but are "deeply sorry for the hurt this has caused".

So... no possibility that they've decided to do this as a way of jumping on the bandwagon as a form of self-publicity.

In other news, The South will be renamed "Lower North" due to connotations to the slavery era.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

The world has gone doolally...

Comment

Never heard of them. Now I have but I will soon forget. Still not going to listen to their music. J hope the PR stunt works out for them.

Comment

Really like their Need You Now song, you should try it lm. Though Antebellum was just meant to mean against war
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Really like their Need You Now song, you should try it lm. Though Antebellum was just meant to mean against war
          Like that and a few others

Fairly light rock/pop.

They sang with Stevie Nicks as well.

YouTube

Antebellum means before the war. Its like changing your name from Josef so people don't think you are communist!

adjective: antebellum; adjective: ante-bellum
          • occurring or existing before a particular war, especially the US Civil War.
            [COLOR=#878787 !important]"the conventions of the antebellum South"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#878787 !important]Origin[/COLOR]

mid 19th century: from Latin, from ante ‘before’ and bellum ‘war’.
          It gets more tenuous by the day.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Blues artist Lady A blasts Lady Antebellum for stealing her name

On Thursday, Hillary Scott, Dave Haywood and Charles Kelley of the Grammy-winning country trio Lady Antebellum released a statement announcing that, “after much personal reflection, band discussion, prayer and many honest conversations with some of our closest Black friends and colleagues,” they were dropping “Antebellum” from their band name due to “associations that weigh down this word referring to the period of history before the Civil War, which includes slavery.” Instead, the group would now be known by its more benign nickname, Lady A.

While this gesture may have been well intentioned, unfortunately, it turns out that the band’s new moniker is also problematic. The stage name “Lady A” already belongs to a 61-year-old black woman who has released several albums over the past two decades. The Seattle blues singer’s most recent release is Doin' Fine, from 2018, and she has a new record, Lady A: Live in New Orleans, set to come out on July 18.

The original Lady A, whose real name is Anita White, blasted the country group in an Instagram post this Friday, saying: "How can you say Black Lives Matter and put your knee on the neck of another Black artist? I'm not mad…I am however not giving up my name, my brand I worked hard for."

Comment

I expected a poll with an AndyW's mum option.

Comment

Originally posted by ravenshaw View Post
                Her music is certainly a lot better. If you can find it amidst all the "Lady Antebellum" crap on YouTube.

Comment

This part is a load of bollocks:

The original Lady A, whose real name is Anita White, blasted the country group in an Instagram post this Friday, saying: "How can you say Black Lives Matter and put your knee on the neck of another Black artist? I'm not mad…I am however not giving up my name, my brand I worked hard for."
                  I doubt very much that they went out of their way to steal her name and to use BLM as justification is just pure stupidity.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    I doubt very much that they went out of their way to steal her name and to use BLM as justification is just pure stupidity.
                    No. They didn't go out of their way, they just did it. Without checking first if there was an artist with that name already.

If I were here I'd be pretty pissed off. And then protest about it a as a way of boosting my publicity.

Comment

Working...
                    X