• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What took them so long?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What took them so long?

Fawlty Towers now. Looks like the mob is winning, and winning big...

Fawlty Towers 'Don't mention the war' episode removed from UKTV | BBC | The Guardian
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

Fawlty Towers 'Don't mention the war' episode removed from UKTV | BBC | The Guardian
    I have the box set. Can still watch the illicit episode with the curtains closed and the volume turned down. Ssh don’t tell anyone...

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

My German colleagues love that episode. Although it wasn't shown in Germany until relatively recently.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It may be me showing my ignorance here so do feel free to say so, but...

I always saw that episode as being a piss-take of the British, and their constipated manners, not a crowing about "winning" the war.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I always saw that episode as being a piss-take of the British, and their constipated manners, not a crowing about "winning" the war.
          "Nuance! Nuance! Burn the witch! Or I'll scream and scream and scream until I'm sick!"

Or some-such modern day wankery.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Yep and he had concussion. There are a couple of bad words in the series so a bit of Guy Gisbon's dog dubbing and jobs a goodun.

Private Jones in Dad's Amy most likely had Shell shock (PTSD).
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yes exactly, the joke was on us really as not getting over the war. Though, probably outdated now.

I think the Major, referred to Indians and Jamaicans in terms that are offensive. I wonder if this is the reason why it was removed.

I don't agree with it, I think we should be able to watch these things in context of the times. The same way many programmes from the 70s we find sexists now, almost in a funny way.

God knows what future generations will make of Love Island.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

God knows what future generations will make of Love Island.
                Naked Attraction should be banned

Comment

The ironic thing is that it's not really racist.

I'd have thought the more contentious episode would be the one where the Major refers to Indians as w**s but maybe that snippet has already been excised from the Netflix offerings.

Comment

Naked Attraction should be banned

Why where else are you going to see the Sun & Guardian readers with their kit off?

Its so funny listening to them complaining about what the people in the box have when they are no great shakes themselves.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X