• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car insurance / DVLA delays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car insurance / DVLA delays

As I don't have Pistonheads bookmarked I though I would ask the collective wisdom of general.

I have moved to my house in the countryside and my drunken eBay purchase Mini has come with me. To insure it in Fleet was 250 pounds per annum, to change the insurance to my new address with the existing insurer is over 2k with new quotes coming in at 415ish.

I have no V5. It has been processed by the DVLA (as evidenced by the DART fines I have picked up) but I never received a paper copy. A call to the DVLA reveals that they have several million people waiting for documents.

Does anyone know my legal position here?

Can I wait until the V5 arrives (mail is redirected) and then insure it here? I own the house in Fleet and the car is kept 100 miles away so I cannot claim the house in Fleet is where the car is kept.

I cannot claim it is registered here, as I need the V5 from when I purchased it to change the address as I need the document code.

The DVLA said that if I applied for a new V5 using a V62 I would reset the clock.

Privileges call center staff were quite clueless.

I'd leave the insurance attached to Fleet until the paperwork comes through

Comment

Don’t drink and Ebay

Comment

"Existing insures" tend to take the piss. Shop around direct as well as with comparison sites. Sometimes direct is cheaper than comparison with the same company.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

they always push up at renewals I normally switch and save £100+ Takes 10 - 20 minutes and I love telling my existing insurer I'm not renewing even when the renewal quote is suddenly the same as the competitors.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If it's a proper mini and it's not going to be driven much, can you get classic insurance on it?

Alternatively, try Admiral/Direct line for their multi-car policies.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              they always push up at renewals I normally switch and save £100+ Takes 10 - 20 minutes and I love telling my existing insurer I'm not renewing even when the renewal quote is suddenly the same as the competitors.
              +1.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. IT's not so much finding insurance or trawling around the comparison sites - more which address to I register at as I do not have a paper copy of the V5.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                  As I don't have Pistonheads bookmarked I though I would ask the collective wisdom of general.
                  Best of luck with that...

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                  I have moved to my house in the countryside and my drunken eBay purchase Mini has come with me. To insure it in Fleet was 250 pounds per annum, to change the insurance to my new address with the existing insurer is over 2k with new quotes coming in at 415ish.
                  Have you moved to the countryside just outside Beirut? £2k to insure a mini? One of my neighbours' offspring had one, and he was only paying £1500-ish as an 18-year-old!
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Best of luck with that...

Have you moved to the countryside just outside Beirut? £2k to insure a mini? One of my neighbours' offspring had one, and he was only paying £1500-ish as an 18-year-old!

Yeah but CFL keeps leaving the handbrake off at dogging sites!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X