• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Granuaid will rise again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    Hardly comparable really, is it? You like to post drivel and contrived exaggerated claims regularly here, for some as yet unknown reason.

Statues of former leaders and people who have benefited society makes sense. If a statue is of somebody whose main business was the slave trade, with little other societal contribution, it makes sense to have a discussion about what sort of statutes should remain up and what criteria are required to put up new statues. There are certain unique activities that we should not now be celebrating and this statute downfall has raised a valid query of the way in which we progress how to no longer celebrate individuals by having a statute of them remain. There's a good reason Jimmy Saville's statue was taken down, yet you haven't yet mentioned that this wasn't ok. "He raised lots of cash for charities! He wasn't just a paedophile, raise his statute again! You can't change history!"

Many people in Bristol did try to start the process but the local counselors repeatedly refused to engage in discussions, shutting the conversations down whenever possible. An explanatory plaque was even stalled and then cancelled by a Tory rep, after it had almost been agreed by other parties.

That isn't listening to logic and rationale but is instead suggesting this:

"Any statue that exists now will always exist and there should be no due process to bring it down."

Doesn't sound very democratic to me; shut down discussions and shutdown any request - even for a basic information plaque.

Why are people so averse to progress and change? Society has always changed and we don't persecute LGBTQ+ people anymore - they're just people, like you and I. The exact same arguments were used for homophobia in the 60's and 70's are being used to redirect a valid conversation about a statute that could be in a museum, rather than in a celebratory position, as other worthwhile statutes in Bristol attest by their prominent position.

I suspect the core reality of your thought process is: "this is too complex, I don't understand it, please can everybody stop talking about this and let's just have zero change, ever."
    I suspect the core reality of his thought people is: "black people are inferior." Of course there is a reasonable chance that this is rooted in a deep-seated sense of inadequacy on mr donut's part.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      I suspect the core reality of his thought people is: "black people are inferior." Of course there is a reasonable chance that this is rooted in a deep-seated sense of inadequacy on mr donut's part.
      Yes, you have got a poster for being a racist on "I suspect" and "reasonable chance".

Cut the tulip.

Comment

Not a fan of statues of prominent slave traders or similar being left where they are but maybe there's another factor that needs to be considered before we go too far, the impact on tourism. Removing famous statues could significantly affect small businesses like shops and restaurants in some areas, many of which are owned by ethnic minorities.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Not a fan of statues of prominent slave traders or similar being left where they are but maybe there's another factor that needs to be considered before we go too far, the impact on tourism. Removing famous statues could significantly affect small businesses like shops and restaurants in some areas, many of which are owned by ethnic minorities.
          "I don't know much about architecture but I know what I don't like"

Comment

I doubt it is untrue. I'd like to see the articles though - it's interesting. I'm guessing they must be somewhere.

You looking for a way out for the Guardian been built on Old Slave money as suggested? That didn't really help Colston,Rhodes & Gladstone did it?

As suggested the British library should have a copy they were supposed to keep a copy every major newspaper.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              You looking for a way out for the Guardian been built on Old Slave money as suggested? That didn't really help Colston,Rhodes & Gladstone did it?

As suggested the British library should have a copy they were supposed to keep a copy every major newspaper.
              Not looking for a way out for anything. Just interested to see the articles. Sorry to disappoint.

Comment

Not looking for a way out for anything. Just interested to see the articles. Sorry to disappoint.
                "did you see the gas chambers?"

Comment

Working...
                X