• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Granuaid will rise again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Granuaid will rise again

surprised our lefty loonies missed this.

Calls for Guardian to be shut for 1862 backing of Confederates | Daily Mail Online

That's not what they said in 1862... Critics seize on how the BLM-backing Guardian was built on a fortune from cotton picked by slaves, sided with the Confederates and branded Abraham Lincoln 'abhorrent'

• The newspaper sided with the Confederates against President Abraham Lincoln
    • It was Lincoln who brought about the abolition of slavery in the US back in 1863
    • Many are baying for statues across the country linked to slavery to be torn down
    • And some suggested the Guardian should fall for being on wrong side of history

A petition has been launched to 'shut down' the Guardian newspaper over accusations of hypocrisy for backing Black Lives Matter protests when it branded Abraham Lincoln 'abhorrent' in the US Civil War.The paper, which was originally called the Manchester Guardian, was founded by John Edward Taylor in 1821 using profits from a cotton plantation that used slaves.
    During the US Civil War 40 years later, it sided with the southern Confederates against President Lincoln, who wanted slavery abolished.
    One extract from the paper on October 10, 1862, read: 'It was an evil day both for America and the world when he was chosen President of the United States.'
    A year later it even opposed the Proclamation of Emancipation - which freed slaves - and described the President's time in office after his assassination as 'abhorrent'.

But in recent editorials the paper has tried to mask its past, with headlines such as 'The Guardian view on Colston's statue: a long time in going' and 'The Guardian view on Black Lives Matter worldwide: a common cause'.Many are baying for statues linked to slavery to be torn down and some have suggested the Guardian should also fall for being on the wrong side of history.
    A petition has even been launched now online to the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) to 'shut down the newspaper'.
    Novelist and journalist Tony Parsons, who organised the petition, tweeted: 'Shameful links to slave-owning Confederate south. Built on the profits of cotton fields. Shut down The Guardian Newspaper.'

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Ah so no organisation or individual can change their mind, ever.

Comment

The Guardian already paid for the sins of the past - the Daily Mail will still be paying in 3020

Comment

Gordon Bennet Vetran. Don't start dragging up the obscure past, the lefties do quite enough of that. Let's focus on today's problems.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Ah so no organisation or individual can change their mind, ever.
          Apparently no. I do think there has to be proper distance between the newspaper and the offence.

An organisation can't really call for statues from 160 years ago to be pulled down because they were slavers when at the same time 160 years ago they were actively supporting slavers.

Now if they had admitted and apologised for their 160 years old links up front I would have been supportive. This however is the morally unassailable Granuaid hiding it. Its like discovering who Jimmy Saville really was and then listening to his opinion on child care.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Gordon Bennet Vetran. Don't start dragging up the obscure past, the lefties do quite enough of that. Let's focus on today's problems.

You don't think it funny or even telling that the lefty paper is a built on slavery and more importantly they forgot to mention it?

Unfortunately our present is the fruit of our past and the sooner people realise everyone was into slavery from the Africans selling them to the papers profiting from them and understand we have come a long way the sooner we can get on with living in our modern world.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              The Guardian already paid for the sins of the past - the Daily Mail will still be paying in 3020

How has the Guardian paid for them? I don't remember in 50 odd years them mentioning their sins.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                The Astors had a catholic employment policy in the Observer into the 80s.

I have no idea why anyone buys that paper and thinks it has a defendable moral position.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  People are entitled to raise a petition. Sign it if you like.

Comment

Unfortunately our present is the fruit of our past and the sooner people realise everyone was into slavery from the Africans selling them to the papers profiting from them and understand we have come a long way the sooner we can get on with living in our modern world.
                    Good point. In those days I daresay it was impossible for many traders and businessmen not to benefit indirectly is some way from slavery regardless of their views on it.

Pity there are so many who can't take a more detached view of things and just accept the past for what it was.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X