• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keeping promises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping promises

"Pensions triple lock at risk from Covid-19 fallout

Rishi Sunak is preparing to break the Conservative party’s “triple lock” state pension pledge, amid Treasury fears that the policy could soon become unaffordable because of the fallout from the coronavirus crisis."

Source: Subscribe to read | Financial Times

"i am sorry, but my promise became unaffordable"

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Rishi Sunak is preparing to break the Conservative party’s “triple lock” state pension pledge, amid Treasury fears that the policy could soon become unaffordable because of the fallout from the coronavirus crisis."

Some of those words about a post Brexit economic boom aged pretty quickly as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Some of those words about a post Brexit economic boom aged pretty quickly as well.
      UK state pensions are the laughing stock of Europe and is half that of France and one-third of Germany. Even when pensions in the poorest parts of Europe are taken into consideration, the weekly pension may be lower but in terms of comparable cost of living, the UK is still lower than the poorest country in Europe. When discussing the subject with my European colleagues, they inevitably question why non-contributing emigrants to the UK are paid more than UK pensioners.

There is plenty of money in the pot if the government chooses to spend it.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

To be fair, we are in unprecedented times.

Or is this fallout from the AMD thread?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Does it mean that not enough pensioners died?

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
            Does it mean that not enough pensioners died?
            The second wave will fix everything, all we have to do is sit back and watch.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
              The second wave will fix everything, all we have to do is sit back and watch.
              You might be right, but by the twenty-second wave, it could be squeaky bum time.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                To be fair, we are in unprecedented times.
                But they won’t cancel/delay Brexit tho, despite “unprecedented times”, increasing taxes in the other hand...

Comment

But they won’t cancel/delay Brexit tho, despite “unprecedented times”, increasing taxes in the other hand...
                  Except the thinking seems to be to reduce VAT and leave taxes alone, relying on increased spending to recover the economy...

Macroeconomics seems to be beyond some people. You can't tax income that people don't actually have and expect to collect increased revenue.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Except the thinking seems to be to reduce VAT and leave taxes alone, relying on increased spending to recover the economy...

Macroeconomics seems to be beyond some people. You can't tax income that people don't actually have and expect to collect increased revenue.
                    To take that analogy, how can you increase spending when you're already massively in debt? Will the UK go to the IMF much like they did in 1976...1976 IMF crisis - Wikipedia
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X