• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How very unchristian of the C of E

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    So you agree Nigeria is a large country with a mix of tribal groups that aren't homogeneous.

The African continent is a group of countries / nations that don't necessarily talk happily to each other.

List of regions of Africa - Wikipedia

Its hardly Xenophobic just a statement of fact proven by history. Europe or England hardly has a better record in this case.

I have indeed seen Europeans shun each other - just try going for a beer in Belfast or parts of Eastern or mainland Europe. Surprisingly people of different ethnic origins don't always agree.
    The whole planet is ultimately tribal with arbitrary boundaries to form countries. Usually they've bonded together forcibly or for economic reasons. They do fail, though, as illustrated in the Balkans 30 years ago.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Coronavirus: Covid-denying priest Father Sergei Romanov seizes Russian monastery - BBC News

Comment

A reminder of those sweet innocent days of two months ago.

Pastor Who Defied Social Distancing Dies After Contracting Covid-19, Church Says - The New York Times

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          I'm pretty sure Robert Powell isn't from the BAME community

Which is most definitely white centric. Though at the time I suppose most Jewish people they knew had come down via the Russian Pogroms :

Pogroms in the Russian Empire - Wikipedia

These would probably be a lot paler than those who had remained in Palestine.

There does seem there has been a lot of discussion about this:

Race and appearance of Jesus - Wikipedia

Though its like on here everyone has an opinion

Actually in my mind Madonna did the most to actually challenge this for the public.

The idea Jesus could be black was greeted by horror by many. It sort of made sense to me already that he couldn't be European white. I assumed European images of him were white (made in his image) and other areas customised him so he felt nearer. This is an Ethiopian interpretation.

The 2001 Son of God depiction makes the most sense to me.

Depiction of Jesus - Wikipedia
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            The whole planet is ultimately tribal with arbitrary boundaries to form countries. Usually they've bonded together forcibly or for economic reasons. They do fail, though, as illustrated in the Balkans 30 years ago.

Precisely so Nigeria is a construct but they have the equivalent of Geordies & Scousers disliking each other.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

This is a reconstruction of a fragment of a 9th Century Chinese Nestorian Christian image, thought to be of Jesus, or perhaps a saint.

Comment

Precisely so Nigeria is a construct but they have the equivalent of Geordies & Scousers disliking each other.
                Veering off-topic, most countries are or were in origin a construct of different groups, even long-established European countries like France and Spain. England is in many ways unusual as it was created as a kingdom by King Athelstan who in 927 became not the first King of England (a territory) but the first King of the English, a defined people speaking a common language (more or less).

Comment

Germany is just a loose collection of regions, many of which had nothing in common until they were brought together.

There was a really interesting exhibition, probably at the British Museum, about German history. Fascinating stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Germany is just a loose collection of regions, many of which had nothing in common until they were brought together.

There was a really interesting exhibition, probably at the British Museum, about German history. Fascinating stuff.
                    I was going to say they were all German speaking, but there is also Frisian, Danish (and others?).

Comment

The 2001 Son of God depiction makes the most sense to me.

Depiction of Jesus - Wikipedia
                      Huff post - what Biblical characters may have looked like.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X