• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Katie Hopkins permanently suspended from Twitter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Do you think the same about contractor UK ?

Should a pub owner be forced to allow an obnoxious git into his pub ?

Perhaps we need a new law to force people to listen to obnoxious opinions, insults and hate speech.
    I think the strawman arguments show you haven't read, or simply don't understand my argument when it comes to the big internet corps.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
      I think the strawman arguments show you haven't read, or simply don't understand my argument when it comes to the big internet corps.
      Yours is the strawman argument, you're arguing as if she simply expressed an opinion they didn't like.

It doesn't matter how big, small a forum is, if someone is insulting you take them down.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yours is the strawman argument, you're arguing as if she simply expressed an opinion they didn't like.

It doesn't matter how big, small a forum is, if someone is insulting you take them down.
        Twitter is more than a forum (your strawman is comparing Twitter and CUK). Twitter's scale/influence qualifies it as more of a "utility" - at least that's mine and other's views, obviously you're free to disagree or disregard that, but I believe it to be a slippery slope.

Comment

Twitter is more than a forum (your strawman is comparing Twitter and CUK). Twitter's scale/influence qualifies it as more of a "utility" - at least that's mine and other's views, obviously you're free to disagree or disregard that, but I believe it to be a slippery slope.
          Sounds a bit like the argument of clamping down on tax avoiders and arguing that it's the slippery slope towards targeting legitimate Ltd companies.

Twitter doesn't censor opinions, just insults and hate speech, which is after all a criminal offence
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Sounds a bit like the argument of clamping down on tax avoiders and arguing that it's the slippery slope towards targeting legitimate Ltd companies.

Twitter doesn't censor opinions, just insults and hate speech, which is after all a criminal offence
            Damn, another strawman!

I did ask where the criminal offence occurred, I'm still waiting.

Comment

Criminal offence is in Twitter - specifically Trump not being banned for crimes against humanity, plus treason - waging war against US on the side of its sworn enemy - Confederacy

Comment

Damn, another strawman!

I did ask where the criminal offence occurred, I'm still waiting.
                Any communication which is threatening or abusive, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone is forbidden.[5] The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both.[6]

Hate speech laws in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

I think we can both agree that Hopkin's comment was abusive.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Hate speech laws in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

I think we can both agree that Hopkin's comment was abusive.
                  Are we judge jury and executioner now? Wasn't she responding to threats of rape? Seems a bit wishy washy to me.

She's a cretin of the highest order, I didn't argue against that at any stage.

Comment

Indeed since 1986:

Hate speech laws in the United Kingdom

Her twitter account was disabled, so what, that's up to twitter they can ban whoever they like.
                    They are selective as to whom they ban. It was a commercial decision, rather than a moral one, whatever the merits or otherwise of their decision. Trump will survive, whatever he says, with occasional censure to make sure Twatter is headline news for as long as possible.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      They are selective as to whom they ban. It was a commercial decision, rather than a moral one, whatever the merits or otherwise of their decision. Trump will survive, whatever he says, with occasional censure to make sure Twatter is headline news for as long as possible.
                      Trump gets censored as well but he's not as bad as Hopkins.

I mean I don't mind her to be honest but if she can't hold her temper she's going to get banned.

In any case she can publicise whereever she wants. This "gatekeeper" nonesense is a storm in a teacup. You wouldn't expect a TV station to air someone who uses bad language and insults.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X